Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys just bought a little short

atm trying to get my head around this issue, may be 2 different issue.... first around 40-60km/h it has a vibration accelerating or cruising, does have muds on it could be a tyre issue not sure

but then at higher speeds above 70 in between on and off throttle there is a rumbling bearing noise, only when coasting for a second before engine braking stops the noise then again as u hit the throttle, the car does pitch quite a lot but then if u push the clutch in and coast the noise is constant still at high speed... so under load the noise is not there

uni's seems fine tho I will grease them
tail shaft seems fine
not much play in the diff
control arm bushes seem alright tho I will check these again

Idea's would be appreciated

·
Registered
nissan
2,014 Posts
Possibly diff pinion angle is different from output pinion on gearbox.

Can be fixed with adjustable upper arms, gearbox cross member spacers or high pinion rear diff conversion

Reactions: dom14

·
Registered
nissan
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
will check... it does have adjustable upper arms so I assumed it would be set right... its also only lifted 3 inch suspension and 1 on the body but I guess being such a short tail shaft will make it worse

·
Registered
nissan
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
turns out the 2 pinion angles are massively different rear diff points way up, but setting it level is going to create a pretty mean angle for the tailshaft

·
Registered
30 Posts
Interesting - I have a similar issue to what the OP says about the throttle, thought it might be a spigot bearing. Definitely have a lot of adjustable aftermarket suspension, but will check the tailshaft...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey Dave, any chance if you haven't fixed yours yet you can record the sound? I've only just got my shorty registered, but taking her out for a spin today and it's not great at 70-80kph backing off the throttle. I'm going to record the noise, will see if I can get my mech to come for a drive and diagnose. Will get under the car tomorrow and have a poke around.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have received the adjustable arms. Taking it to the garage this week. Waiting for pay day. Will record it when I go. Sounds a bit like a grinding noise to be honest.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks mate that would be great (y)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts