Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
5,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to find a latch to suit the carrier I am building (soon). I know over centre latches are commonly used, but I am trying to find something better.

I have found the perfect item but I cannot find one to buy. I have seen a few of these on carriers on google, but never referred to by name. Does anyone know what these latches are called??

And if you know what they are, where can I get one!!

Cheers,
Shayne

·
Registered
9,663 Posts
Looks like a latch from a commercial refrigerator or refrigerated truck container door.

But If you find one, make sure you buy decent quality because it looks like cast alloy, the quality of the alloy is really important. I have used cheap ebay latches and quality expensive latches on my camper trailer builds. The cheap ones break or fall apart.

latches for truck doors etc, I buy in WA from Industrial Rubber Supplies. There is one in Brisy so give them a call or go on line to see if they have this.
Industrial Rubber Supplies

There is also a mob called Rijidij offroad that make something like the Kaymar carrier latch.
They also do a complete kit of all the parts to build your own carrier. Might be worth a look.

http://rijidijoffroad.bounce.com.au/#/kit-page/4551195113

·
Registered
Nissan
532 Posts
In the mines they are used on electrical cabinets on the diesel electric gear like trucks and drills and loaders. Probably not much help unless you know someone who works in the mines.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,144 Posts
I know where to get them but not the name of the place but someone here may no when I say where it is.
I have used these on several rear bars and never had a problem.

The place is the street behind coopers brewery corner South rd Regency Park, Adelaide, South Australia. Its a truck supply place with anything to do with replacement parts for trucks/buses.

Hope this helps. DD.

·
Registered
nissan
1,792 Posts
I used CAT dump truck door laches. They simple push shut then lift a small leaver to open them. Like a door

I then (just for piece of mind) installed some locking hatches just incase they opened on a gravel road or out 4x4ing.

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GU IV
18,613 Posts
I used CAT dump truck door laches. They simple push shut then lift a small leaver to open them. Like a door

I then (just for piece of mind) installed some locking hatches just incase they opened on a gravel road or out 4x4ing.
Duchman gave me the Cat part numbers for these ages ago, AND my young bloke works at Westrac :) so I am going to right royally shaft that idea and I'm not even paying you for copyright!

I've had a gutful of the Kaymar latches, as strong and secure as they are they're a pain in the bum when your hands are wet as it's a fair bit of effort on mine to close them past a certain point. Ben's idea there is brilliant.

Oh and thanks to Geordie for that Rijidij link, never heard of them but after I've made sliders for my young bloke's car I know what he'll want next....

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input so far fellas. ;)

I have seen the other options mentioned, but I am keen on the one's shown, as I reckon they will prevent any rattles. The other latch types will not do this as well in my opinion.

If you have used them Dirt Devil do you know what they are called?

Robpar13, do you think Ovesco sell the type I am after, or just the over-centre stuff. I couldn't find it on their website either.

As for strength of these things, no doubt you get what you pay for. But I have seen them on a few brand name "tire" carriers in the US, so suitable units must be available.

As far as a latch that can exert pressure to hold the two part of the carrier together so they can't move, they look to be the best option. I reckon I will find them if I can find out what they are called.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,144 Posts
A2-10-501-21 - Southco

I put that latch through google image and this come up.
I will be passing that place that sell them Tuesday so will find out for you.

cheers DD.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So it is still called an over-centre latch, kind of. "Over-centre lever latch".

I have been on google for a few hours looking for this, so your skills must be better than mine! Thanks for the help, I will see what I can find.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So far the "Southco" latch is the only one I have found. There should be others you would reckon. Nothing came up on ebay either.

Looks like Ovesco is an agent for Southco, so while they will be expensive I reckon quality will be good too, unlike a lot of ebay stuff.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ovesco want just over $100 for one, but today a few of them popped up on US ebay for $25 USD each. I thought I had better grab them before they disappeared. I bought two, plus freight, total cost $88. :cool:

Thanks for your help guys.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts