Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm currently rebuilding my front diff and installing a locker. I'm at the put it all together stage and require some guideance for two washers/spacers (two either side) that I know go on the end of the CV, but not sure exactly where (ie, prior to circlip of after). I know I have seen diagrams showing an assembly view of the whole diff, and I cannot find it.

I have this one but it doesnt have the CVs.

Maybe if we got a collection of these together we could start a sticky with them all.

Attachments

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats the one, cheers matey!

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Question:
One of the 'washers' I'm talking about is copper and the other is steel. I cannot differentiate which should go where?

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I'll have to go to Patrol-A-Part at some stage, so I'll ask them.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I know about that one, but the one I have is MUCH smaller and looks like it should be located near the circlip/snap ring that goes on the end of the CV near the hub. Are GUs and GQs the same at the CV end? (Also HAD Auto hubs and putting on AVMs again :rolleyes:)

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't have a washer that goes between the wheel bearing and wheel bear nut/adjuster as shown in the pic. Maybe it was from there?

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
any washer against the bearing should have a locator tab i would think so it doesnt try to turn the washer and nut behind it

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
any washer against the bearing should have a locator tab i would think so it doesnt try to turn the washer and nut behind it
But the adjuster nut has another washer thingo that goes on the outside with two screws that lock it in place (is not the same as a GQ).

GU

GQ

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Same as MudRunners but for GU

·
naturally asthmatic
4,387 Posts
But the adjuster nut has another washer thingo that goes on the outside with two screws that lock it in place (is not the same as a GQ).

GU

GQ

That is correct. It is the same set-up also on the Y60 Safaris. It also makes it very easy to quickly check and adjust the front bearings. I made my own tool a long time ago to set them with a fishing scale. I still have to get around to modding a hub socket to set the preload with a torque wrench. So far my preload by hand has worked okay.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I cannot find any info in regards to them, so they must be able to be omitted.

·
Registered
506 Posts
From memory they were the first thing to go on the axle before fitting
the auto hub. Copper or brass first and then the steel. I think they are
there to take out some of the play in the axle movement in and out of
diff when fitting the circlip onto the end of the shaft.

I have manual hubs on the currant GU.and i dont think they are there.
But thats certainly where they go. Try a dummy fit up with the washers
installed and then fit the cone from the centre of the free wheeling hub
and see how much room you have to fit the circlip.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
From memory they were the first thing to go on the axle before fitting
the auto hub. Copper or brass first and then the steel. I think they are
there to take out some of the play in the axle movement in and out of
diff when fitting the circlip onto the end of the shaft.

I have manual hubs on the currant GU.and i dont think they are there.
But thats certainly where they go. Try a dummy fit up with the washers
installed and then fit the cone from the centre of the free wheeling hub
and see how much room you have to fit the circlip.
That could be right, I was thinking that last night but thought I had better ask before I did anything. :cheers:

·
Previously known as twodiffs
1991 GQ Safari.
3,684 Posts
Looking at the diagram I can't work out why the 'Spacer' is inserted before the 'Bushing'
(prior to drive clutch), I saw one dismantled once and the spacer was before the bushing. The spacer was tight to remove and if it was put on first then i'd assume you would never get it out??

The bushing was't so tight and came out easily...hence being further in the hub.

·
Registered
Nissan Safari
1,804 Posts
This needs to be a sticky!

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I should have got a pic of the spacers/washers/bushings whilst I had it all apart. All well, next time.

x2 for sticky

·
Previously known as twodiffs
1991 GQ Safari.
3,684 Posts
I should have got a pic of the spacers/washers/bushings whilst I had it all apart. All well, next time.

x2 for sticky
x3 for sticky.

If someone could take a good clear pic of the spacer and bushing etc when they next do theirs that would be good.

The time I watched it being done the spacer was protruding a couple of mm as it should but strong grips were needed to pull it out, the bushing came out easily with a small screwdriver...like I said above - no way would the spacer have been able to be removed if it was vice versa.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts