Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Previously known as twodiffs
1991 GQ Safari.
3,684 Posts
I'm glad I found this again, i'm about to pull apart a GU diff and one swivel hub end is dismantled already...I'll keep pics of when pulling the other end apart so I have a record of how it was but this thread will definitely help.

There is 1 piece from the dismantled end that I don't recognise but i'll watch out for it when doing the complete end, I know GQ's don't have it...will put a pic up if it's a mystery piece. Could just be something that the wrecker had and thought it was part of the gear.

·
1991 GQ Safari.
3,684 Posts
A pic of said piece here, going by the schematic it's a grease catcher and something that isn't on my GQ diff.

Secondly I have no idea what type of hubs were on the GU diff but on the inner groove there are 3 washers/circlips as shown in the pic below.

I'll be putting my DX manual hubs on this diff which currently only have the egg ring and spacer and 1 circlip on the outer axle groove (GQ).

Does that mean I can completely delete the above from the inner groove when I rebuild the diff??

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,861 Posts
It had Auto hubs if fitted with the 2 washers one being copper and a snap ring. Freewheeling hubs only run a single snap ring with no washers.

Make sure you fit the egg rings, they usually get damaged when removing them and some run with out them but I like to think Nissan put these in place to space the step ring out for reason. Auto hubs don't use them so you need them when converting from auto to freewheeling.

·
1991 GQ Safari.
3,684 Posts
Ok cheers Bogger, i'll reassemble with the manual hubs and I should onlky need the snap ring on the outer groove. I'll know by how much end float I get anyway.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts