Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
10,990 Posts
Saw this on FB.

Underlines the importance of using quality, rated gear and recovery points, it can really minimise the risk of this happening.

Hope the guy pulls through.

·
Registered
nissan
523 Posts
I wonder if they were using one of the brand of straps that were recalled recently? Hope the kid pulls through tho regardless.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,149 Posts
I wonder if they were using one of the brand of straps that were recalled recently? Hope the kid pulls through tho regardless.

I dout it was the strap, They said somthing metal came back and hit him so that leaves 2 options. One the point it was attached to being a towball or shackle breaking off. If the strap snapped there is nothing attached to it.

Only was I could imagine that happening is if they had 2 straps joined with a shackle in the middle and the first strap broke. That being almost as bad as an idea as using the towball

·
Glasshouse Bogan #1
nissan patrol gu
9,423 Posts
Yeah a strap in the head just stings a bit with a minor headache after.

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
Whatever it was, it's a terrible outcome from what should have been a fun day/evening out.

This is what I hate - no matter how much we say it here and wherever else we're active on social media, the message just isn't getting out. You just can't be too safe when it comes to a recovery! It pisses me off to no end - all the information is out there, the equipment is available, there's even training available... and this still happens.

:(

Reactions: Paddy16

·
Registered
nissan
320 Posts
Saw on the news just now that they said a "buckle" hit him. So I assume it was a shackle. My guess is dodgy shackle or dodgy recovery poi ton the helping veichle. They also said the accident happened on private land where they had been trespassing.

Either way, sad news. Hopefully he will get through this.

·
Registered
2003 GU PATROL
20,221 Posts
I always use a chain. Less likely to break and less likely to have the slingshot effect. Tow trucks use chains.
I much rather using a strap or drag chain... But sometimes when you stuck good you need the extra power a snatchy provides.

·
GHMBC #3
nissan patrol gq lwb,3"lift.
3,788 Posts
I much rather using a strap or drag chain... But sometimes when you stuck good you need the extra power a snatchy provides.
same here- chain or rated rope/strap.for the snatch effect i use a kinetic rope which works just as well
i believe a winch is what should be used if you are stuck good.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Holy Crap! what an IDIOT!!!!

·
Premium Member
nissan
5,279 Posts
I have only ever carried a snatch strap. Tell me if I'm wrong but providing the snatch strap is rated appropriately, in good condition and so are the shackles and recovery points, it should be relatively harmless even if it snaps. On the proviso (and this is the important one), everyone is standing clear. A snatchy doesn't have to be used to snatch. In fact I rarely do. I initially use it the same as a chain or rope. I'm just having an issue understanding the difference if used in a similar way ( accept for a snatchy having more mechanical sympothy).

This is a terrible ending to something that could more than likely have been prevented. There must have been a catastrophic heavy piece of recover equipment failure, which resulted in it flying through the front or back window, or he was standing where he shouldn't have been.

Terrible. I hope he's ok. :(

·
"Toxic Personality"
nissan
8,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, seen that....

In reply to using chains, it's a bad idea generally because of the thing that makes 4wd recovery different to a tow truck. The instant energy created with any sort of 'tug' on a chain, coupled to the weight of the chain, you then have to take into account the loading on a chain that doesn't stretch vs a snatch strap. Any decent strap should be rated to 9-15ton. That's a stonkin' chain.

A tow truck or a crane uses a chain because a very slow moving constant dead weight requires no stretch and a simple low breaking strain. With a set point to winch from whereas in a 4wd you have 2 moving cars in most situations.

If you tried to safely recover A stuck decently setup gu in a typical bush situation with a chain you would need an excavator.

·
Registered
2003 GU PATROL
20,221 Posts
I use a chain for dragging... not "snatching" NEVER try use a chain to snatch someone out.. the shaock load is massive. I try with the chain to skull drag people out.. if that isn't good enough resort to the snatch strap..

Even better if you can hook the snatch strap to the front recovery hook without having to use a shackle... if the hook breaks or bends open during the recovery that is one less bit of steel flying head height.

·
Premium Member
Nissan GU1 4.2
417 Posts
All to common with kids that don't get taught proper "safe" procedures for recovery. I once saw a kid about to try a snatch recovery using four strands of clothes line wire twisted together.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts