Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone is using a nylon roller fairlead with their synthetic rope or is the Hawse Hitch (not sure of spelling) the only way to go?

Nylon being material for the rollers instead of metal rollers for steel cable if you know what I mean?

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I don't think it's a material issue fella.
I think it's more that the rope can get caught up in the roller assembly.

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
Its not the material of the rollers behind the Roller Fairlead versus Hawse Fairlead thinking so much as the design of teh Fairlead themselves.

The "issue" is that because the synthetic rope is so flexible (well most styles) and can flatten on itself then potentially it can get between the rollers and pinch or if it gets slack enough even take a loop around.

You can also get Poly Hawse Fairlead as well as metal (cast or machined)
Winch Hawse Fairlead - Polyurethane

Poly Roller Fairleads are considered by many to be a compromise IE instead of a complete replacement you change out the steel rollers for Poly when you fit the Sythetic rope .

IMHO if you are buying an entire replacement Fairlead then get a Hawse style otherwise stick with what you have and watch what your doing as there are Pro's and Con's for each style... if you are only an occasional winch user that is...

·
Registered
nissan
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fair enough.

I'm guessing the advantage of the metal or alloy hawse hitches is they last longer through less wear but disadvantage of sharp burrs can cut the rope?
Poly hitch maybe wears a bit more with use but burrs are soft so won't effect rope?
Does this sound about right?

Also if I had a roller fairlead for steel cable on my bar and changed to synthetic will the hawse hitch bolt straight up to the existing upper or lower bolt holes or will two new ones need to be drilled?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Fair enough.

I'm guessing the advantage of the metal or alloy hawse hitches is they last longer through less wear but disadvantage of sharp burrs can cut the rope?
Poly hitch maybe wears a bit more with use but burrs are soft so won't effect rope?

Also if I had a roller fairlead for steel cable on my bar and changed to synthetic will the hawse hitch bolt straight up to the existing upper or lower bolt holes or will two new ones need to be drilled?

Thanks
Personally I haven't seen a poly hawse fairlead. I would probably avoid one as I'd be worried about heat from friction between the 2 materials.
The aluminium billet one has large radii to avoid cuts (as I'm sure the poly one has).

There are 2 types of fairlead that I know of. One has the slot in line with the bolt holes and one is offset.
You'll need to look at your winch bar and order the right one.

·
Registered
Nissan GUII 3L Patrol
388 Posts
I have poly rollers on my fairlead............far prefer rollers to a hawse as they generate LESS heat when winching on angles. I use have about 25m of 12mm rope and carry 40m of 8mm rope......neither has ever been caught or pinched in the rollers. In fact I asked a similar question last year as to why so many people run a hawse with rope........some highlighted the "pinching" issue
I cant help but feel that it may be an image thing to have a hawse

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts

Its the other way around.

Roctoy Designfab said:
I'm about to CNC router cut a heap of Hawse Fairleads in the next few weeks from a composite plastic material. Lighter and stronger than aluminium, with none of the friction heat issues caused by running rope through them at high speeds. They will have a smooth radius edge around the rope slot and recessed mounting bolt holes. As you can see there are already a heap of different options for vehicle logos etc. It wouldn't be a problem to do team names either for a small additional fee.
I haven't finalised prices for them yet, but i will be able to do custom sizes and designs to suit different winch setups.

Stay tuned

cheers Chris

Roctoy Designfab said:
They are not lower friction, they just disipate the heat better than aluminium does. They are cut from Black HDPE engineering plastic.

The standard ones are the same mounting hole offset as every other hawse fairlead about 250mm approx, but this can be changed to suit whatever is needed, for different drum widths etc.

They will be a similar price to the aluminum ones on the market already, i will try to keep them as cheap as i can.

Note they are not a new idea, just no one makes them in Australia.
Here's a review from Pirate in 2003 on a similar product.
Pirate4x4.Com - Extreme Four Wheel Drive

Cheers Chris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts