Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

Im in the middle on my trip up wa coast with the campertrailer.

After about 4 or 5 fairly steep hills in decent heat my tacho went nuts and brought the engine light on. The old girl kept marching on until i decided to pull over 1 min later. I shut the engine down for say 15 mins then started it again and no problems at all???

I got the codes read at a local garage and it came back crank angle and cam angle sensors? So back at camp i pulled them both off and cleaned them with contact cleaner and 350km of around 35 degrees+ towing later and she's still fine?

Should i consider getting these sensors replaced or i have i done enough to keep the problem under control.

I know this doesnt sound like much but i need to know its going to be ok for the rest of the trip as i have my wife and 1 year old with me!

Any help would be awesome

Cheers

Phil

·
Registered
nissan
536 Posts
Firstly I'll give a disclaimer and say at I'm a bit of backyard mechanic with no formal training, just the experience I have with my own 2.8.

I would say, if your problem doesn't surface again, then you may have fixed the problem.

If it does appear again then it could be that the plate on the back of the timing belt cog could have come loose from the main body of the cog. This plate has lugs on it which the crank angle sensor reads, and is only pressed onto the cog.

The pic below shows the cog and the backing plate with lugs or lobes on it.

I have heard previously that if this plate comes adrift then it will give funny readings on the tacko.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
nissan
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cool thanks for that i'll keep that in mind.

ive only had all the timing belt, pullies etc changed 4 months ago so fingers crossed thats not my problem?

while i was at the garage i got them to clear the codes so guess i just wait for them to come up again hey?

cheers

phil

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Did you have some crap on the ends of the sensors that you may have cleaned off? If so that may have upset the readings the ecu was getting.

Just monitor and enjoy trip.

·
Registered
nissan
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well lets just say they had a bit of mud on the outer casing and weren't too clean on the inside so fingers crossed the contact cleaner has helped?

Oh and smokey i chopped the middle muffler off about 3 days before the trip and it has settled into a bloody nice sound, quite surprised how loud it is!!

cheers

Phil

1 - 6 of 6 Posts