Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I got stuck on a rock last time at Landcruiser Park.
My tailshaft rubbed on a large rock, and it copped a bit of a flogging.

The truck drives fine, no unusual vibration.
Will this be ok or should I replace it or can it be repaired, I'm concerned about twisting it as I don't
know how this the steel is on these.
And i've only just done the uni's on it 4000ks ago!!!! Also that's excess grease on the exhaust from filling up the nipples on the weekend.

Pep

·
Registered
nissan
154 Posts
if it's still straight you could have it checked if it needs a balance. they spotweld on weight if needed.
unbalance is worse than a dent.
the tube it'self is 2mm thick and if not cracked no worries.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Slightly off subject, but I'm trying to work out why the shaft seams to be in straight alignment with the diff.
Did you have the car jacked up for the photo's?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Slightly off subject, but I'm trying to work out why the shaft seams to be in straight alignment with the diff.
Angle driveway, but I'm not sure what you mean.

Pep

·
Registered
1,517 Posts

Pep
It's just that the diff usually runs somewhere close to horizontal and matches the angle of the gearbox output.
If you aren't getting vibrations then don't worry, just looks a bit strange.
Could also be a trick of the photo.

'tis all.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ah gotcha, well it also has a 4" or so lift.

Can i use a GQ tailshaft? Mines a GUII ZD30.

Pep

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Run your finger nail in the groove to guage the depth of the scares
If not too deep (like hardly noticeable)itll be fine
If its seems deep ,a replacement would be the go
Hard to tell by pics,remembering not much past the damage is the welds for the ends
In the first pic is that the wieght on top of the tailshaft ???

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Run your finger nail in the groove to guage the depth of the scares
If not too deep (like hardly noticeable)itll be fine
If its seems deep ,a replacement would be the go
Hard to tell by pics,remembering not much past the damage is the welds for the ends
In the first pic is that the wieght on top of the tailshaft ???
Yes that's the balance weight.
the scratches are maybe up to 0.3mm deep, but my other fear is the “hourglass” shape in it.

pep

·
Weekend Warrior
Nissan patrol
10,348 Posts
Replace it.

You have made it into a michellin man. One good dose of the go pedal and it will twist up/and or buckle sideways, I would not trust that. Metal fatigue is a bitch also, you have stressed it and it will die sooner than if it had not been deformed.

My 10 cents.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Replace it.

You have made it into a michellin man. One good dose of the go pedal and it will twist up/and or buckle sideways, I would not trust that. Metal fatigue is a bitch also, you have stressed it and it will die sooner than if it had not been deformed.

My 10 cents.
Pretty much what i was afraid of :(:(

can anyone tell me if a GQ tailshaft will fit a GU.

Pep

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Go seek a tailshaft shop,theres one in Brissie
Even goin a 2nd hand tailshaft mite not help
Length,unis could be wrong or even worse a 2nd handie mite need to be balanced
Running an unbalanced tailshaft at highway speeds will shake the dentures clean out ya mouth
Let alone stuff other things
Time to do a google search and seek correct parts

·
Registered
nissan
645 Posts
That'll buff out. :)

to me it looks like just the paint was scratched. Also how can a rock scrapping on the outside of a tube cause it to bulge? To me it looks like ti was there since manufacture. And the way there is still paint in between the scratches either side of the bulge suggests to me that not that much has been ground away, not enough to rub far enough in to cause a problem. If it is still running true and not unbalanced, I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's not bulged out, it's been pushed in.
and definitely wasn't like that from factory

Pep

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GQ GU
1,299 Posts

Pep
It's just that the diff usually runs somewhere close to horizontal and matches the angle of the gearbox output.
If you aren't getting vibrations then don't worry, just looks a bit strange.
Could also be a trick of the photo.

'tis all.
Ah gotcha, well it also has a 4" or so lift.

Can i use a GQ tailshaft? Mines a GUII ZD30.

Pep
Hey Peps have you got adjustable upper or lower control arms in your 4" lift mate? do you get a slight vibe at around 80 or so?

What Spider was talking about is that your Unis are designed to have slight angle in them (they need something to correct or they have no task) If you have adjusted your uppers or lowers to give you a nice straight pinion angle to the rear diff (like in the photo questioned by spider) then your Unis will kinda vibrate rather than correct.

Putting in some slight angle on your Pinion angle will give you a more comfortable ride and give you longevity for your Unis.

As to the serviceability of the drive shaft?? i would have a Tail shaft pro have a look at it or make a couple of calls and see about a second handy off a wreck somewhere local, it might be less than $100. go for it.

·
Registered
nissan
91 Posts
I'd have to say replace it! But then again, I work for a tailshaft mob :D But seriously, I've seen a few 4wd shafts come in that look like they've been 'scratched' on a rock or something, and has subsequently twisted the crap out of itself! If the uni's are still newish, they can be reused in the new shaft. If you wanna do it on the cheap, so to a wreckers and find a shaft from the same model, same length with a slip that is in good nick (no play), and fit your uni's. Worse case scenario with this is it might need a balance, which should be under 100 bucks, plus the cost of the 2nd hand shaft, it shouldn't be that much.

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Mud Runner,
That looks like a foto from Crazy Clown
If it is thatll be from his MQ SWB
Id love to see a GU cop a hammering that Crazies MQ takes

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks everyone for your thoughts.
I'm trying to track down a 2nd hand one then put new unis in that, but theres no GU ones available.

MudRunnerTD i see what you mean, and i have HD lower arms but not adjustable ones,
i thought a straight line to the box was a good thing, goes to show what i know!!!!!

I'll contact a tailshaft guy tomorrow and price it up.
can anyone recommend someone from brissy to the sunnycoast.

Pep

1 - 20 of 28 Posts