Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know if there is a maximum length the slip joint should be pushed in just when parked?

at the moment mine is compressed all the way in. is this an issue?

do i need a shorter tailshaft by say 30-40mm?

cheers
dan.

·
Registered
nissan
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2000 model GU 3L.

i snapped my old one and when measuring the new one i didn't allow for any compression. only realised when installing the new one it was a tight fit with no compression of the slip joint now available. woops.

·
Registered
Nissan
328 Posts
Yes it is an issue , if you actually made a new shaft and it is longer than the original it will force the engine forward every time you go over a bump .

·
Registered
nissan
291 Posts
paul why is greasing the slip joint a nono? its got a greas nipple on it for GREASING. Any excess grease is pushed out under compression of the shaft

·
Registered
Nissan
328 Posts
The stock length would be what you should be aiming to achieve and I would measure a stock shaft from weld to weld or see if some kind lad here will measure his from weld to weld and post the length here so you know what length to cut the tube . Is it auto or manual as the lengths may be different ?

·
Registered
nissan
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it's a manual and has a 6inch lift. i purchased the tailshaft that suits my vehicle but possibly because of the lift the standard length shaft is too long so i have had it shortened already to the snug fit it sits at now.
just had a play with it and can get about 20mm compression so i might just see how she goes........?

cheers lads.

·
Registered
419 Posts
probably better to get longer lower trailing arms to push the diff back a little, which you should do anyway with a 6 inch lift.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
take the coils out and the tailshaft out.
then put it down resting on the bumpstops and refit the tailshaft.

·
Go Hard or Go Home
3,197 Posts
paul why is greasing the slip joint a nono? its got a greas nipple on it for GREASING. Any excess grease is pushed out under compression of the shaft
Greasing the slip yoke is fine as long as you do not over grease it. 1 or 2 pumps from the grease gun & thats it.

"Over greasing" as I stated before, is a no no as it can set hard over time and cause an imbalance and may also not allow full movement when compressed if the grease sets hard.

The slip yoke seal is there to keep the grease in & the dirt out. Allowing grease to push out past the seal will allow grit to get in over time.

·
Registered
nissan
91 Posts
On 4wd shafts we usually measure from flange to flange under the vehicle with the shaft removed, and thats the length of the shaft we aim for in the midslip position. How much slip has your slipjoint got in total?

·
Registered
nissan
154 Posts
The MK slipjoint has a little 3mm hole on the opposite side of the yoke to prevent buildup of excess grease.
Check this at yours,and if it's there you can't over grease.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Greasing the slip yoke is fine as long as you do not over grease it. 1 or 2 pumps from the grease gun & thats it.

"Over greasing" as I stated before, is a no no as it can set hard over time and cause an imbalance and may also not allow full movement when compressed if the grease sets hard.

The slip yoke seal is there to keep the grease in & the dirt out. Allowing grease to push out past the seal will allow grit to get in over time.

If you pump too much grease in when its on stands it fills the socket up. If you then drive off a kerb or any sudden drop afterward it will actually stuff your pinion bearings by punching the pinion rearwards with the tailshaft. probably stuff the bearings in the transfer case too. The grease in the end just cant squeeze out past the splines fast enough.
it's a good idea to clean the slip joint socket out anytime you have the tailshaft out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts