Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all i have a 1993 TD42 GQ patrol with rancho suspension, im into 4x4'in and wanna know is it hard to take out the air bag system and does anyone know if its better to 4x4 with air bags or without, if anyon knows please help me out cheers.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
The airbags you are talking about ( red or blue bags )are there to help carry weight without going to heavier springs. I would leave them there for that purpose. They do not make a difference unless you want big articulation. Get rid of the ranchos and put some decent shocks in.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no worries mate these ones are blue came with the ca and the rancho's look pretty old and are pretty bouncey, thanks

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
If you can get the springs to fully extend to their free length you should be able to pull the bags out between one of the coils using a bit of soapy water as well.
The airbags add to the spring rate of your coils by the bag inflating between each coil to make it stiffer, to assist levelling the ride with a heavy load but as said they do reduce flex depending how much pressure you put in them. The blue ones you have would be a Firestone kit which are of very good quality.
The bouncyness means the shocks aren't controlling the springs much anymore. Bin 'em.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you can get the springs to fully extend to their free length you should be able to pull the bags out between one of the coils using a bit of soapy water as well.
The airbags add to the spring rate of your coils by the bag inflating between each coil to make it stiffer, to assist levelling the ride with a heavy load but as said they do reduce flex depending how much pressure you put in them. The blue ones you have would be a Firestone kit which are of very good quality.
The bouncyness means the shocks aren't controlling the springs much anymore. Bin 'em.
Cheers for the help mate

1 - 5 of 5 Posts