Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are doing our first big trip (yes 40 years of age and its our first real holiday!) going from Tassie to Alice.

We are leaving Tassie on the 15th of July 2011 arriving in Melbourne the 16th and return on the 1st of August.

We are a bit pushed for time (18 days) and we have no real definite itinerary but we want to go from Melbourne to Flinders to Oodnadatta to Finke to Alice to West Mac Ranges to Uluru to Coober Pedy then back to Melbourne.

We understand most of this trip is fairly touristy and not really too remote or too adventurous but being our first time being so far from home we thought it would be great to have some like minded people to travel with for some or all of the trip.

The main reason is because it is always better to have people with you if any problems arise and there are some tracks and destinations we would not do on our own but would love to do if we had someone with us. (boggy hole is a good example)

We would be keen to spend the first day or so covering as many kays as we could to get up to the Flinders ASAP and also we are willing to spend a couple of days at the end of the trip doing some big kays to get back to Melbourne to maximise our site seeing time in between.

We are using a roof top tent for the most part but we are open to spending a night or two of luxury if somewhere looks inviting enough.

It is just Helen and myself, no kids this trip, although we are ok to travel with a family.

We are very experienced campers and yes we have had holidays before but they have always been camping holidays locally or a few days on the mainland here and there to serve a purpose rather than a holiday as such.

Soooooo, anyone keen to come along for the trip or at least some of it??

We are also open to any advice if any of you have done this area?

·
Registered
nissan
44 Posts
Hi Danny and Helen,

We did a similar trip from Melbourne with 3 kids and another family last year. we did it in just under 3 weeks. Our route was reverse and we didnt do the Oodnadatta or Flinders Ranges as we had covered that the year before. And with 3 kids it would be pushing things a bit.

The only place where you may feel isolated would be Finke to Alice.

We travel solo a lot and i dont think you will have any problems. For peace of mind hire a sat phone and also phone in to someone and let them know your next destination as you go.

Hope that helps.

Have a great trip.

Andrew.

·
Registered
nissan
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Taking passengers ?? lol
If i'm not doing The Simpson this year, i might bring my bus :cool:
LOL The passenger thing doesn't help to snatch the Patrol out of soft sand unless we can bury you as an anchor point for the winch?

Hurry up and save ya pennies we are going to book the boat very soon.....waiting for winter specials

Hi Danny and Helen,

We did a similar trip from Melbourne with 3 kids and another family last year. we did it in just under 3 weeks. Our route was reverse and we didnt do the Oodnadatta or Flinders Ranges as we had covered that the year before. And with 3 kids it would be pushing things a bit.

The only place where you may feel isolated would be Finke to Alice.

We travel solo a lot and i dont think you will have any problems. For peace of mind hire a sat phone and also phone in to someone and let them know your next destination as you go.

Hope that helps.

Have a great trip.

Andrew.
Thanks for the advice Andrew. Our main concern was getting into boggy hole. We have read a few trip reports and plenty of people have need to be snatched when stuck in the sand there. We are able to self recover but it would be nice to have a second car with us.

What is the Finke to Alice track like to drive? I have watched plenty of youtube vids of the racing and looks like heaps of potential to get stuck in soft sand?

·
Registered
nissan
421 Posts
LOL The passenger thing doesn't help to snatch the Patrol out of soft sand unless we can bury you as an anchor point for the winch?

Hurry up and save ya pennies we are going to book the boat very soon.....waiting for winter specials
Ok ok ok. I wont buy tries, ill come on ya trip ;) lol. We will see..

Simpson Desert next year will be awesome :cool:

·
Registered
nissan
44 Posts
The Finke to Alice is just a dirt road. The sandy race track runs parallel to it so if you dont go on it there is nothing to get stuck on. We probably averaged about 80km an hour along it.

I really wouldnt worry about the sand. We always let our tyres down to 22 or 24 ish as soon as we hit dirt maybe 20 in sand, maybe. We havent had any trouble. if you did there would most likely be someone close by, or as you say self recover.

For what its worth, we were there last year when there was a lot of flooding and some roads were "closed" even though they were not signed as such or blocked off. Its a bit of a scare tactic by the Govt I think to keep people off the roads that really were not an issue. They just dont want the liability i think.

I also think people talk up tracks a bit. Usually we are surprised at the ease of tracks that are supposed to be hard.

I would say just go for it. We always travel with a sat phone just in case.

Palm Valley is also worth the visit.

Cheers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts