Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Ford Maverick SWB TB42
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone, i have a Maverick TB42 SWB Carb model. I have purchased the pertronix module to convert from points. The hall effect type with the magnet. Just in regard to the wiring up side of things, i believe i need to go negative from the pertronix to neg on my coil, and positive from the pertronix to the white wire on my ballast resistor- however, on my vehicle there is only 2 bridged red wires on one side of the ballast, and nothing on the other side. There is a white/black stripe wire coming from somewhere (haven't traced back yet) that goes onto the positive of my coil. Wondering where i should put the positive lead from the pertronix to? The coil is a GT40 equivalent
Electrical wiring Motor vehicle Audio equipment Cable Gas
Electrical wiring Motor vehicle Audio equipment Cable Gas

·
Premium Member
nissan
2,418 Posts
Someone has bypassed the ballast resistor. The White wire with a black trace in your photo would have originally gone to the other side of the ballast resistor. They have extended the wire (green wire) and connected it to the positive side of the coil.

·
Registered
1990 Ford Maverick SWB TB42
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Someone has bypassed the ballast resistor. The White wire with a black trace in your photo would have originally gone to the other side of the ballast resistor. They have extended the wire (green wire) and connected it to the positive side of the coil.
Ok i wondered if it was bypassed, so if i bin that ballast altogether, do i need to do anything with those red wires on it?
And then i would just put the red from my pertronix straight to + on coil?

·
Premium Member
nissan
2,418 Posts
One red wire will go to the positive coil. The other red wire is the original factory ballast bypass. Both are not required. The one that goes to the coil can be disconnected. Tape up the other red wire.
Yes positive of pertronix to positive coil post. I would replace that blue connector and heat shrink it.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Also check your coil to make sure it is a 12v coil (for use without a ballast resistor) and not a 9v coil which will cook/fail if you run full 12v constantly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts