Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have searching high and low for as much info on the carburetor used on the TB42 engine,
there is not alot of info out there, maybe im looking in the wrong spot ?
does anyone know technical specs such as throttle and venturi diameters or even a cfm flow ?

·
GHMBC #3
nissan patrol gq lwb,3"lift.
3,788 Posts
hi homa, do you need to replace yr existing carby or repair it?i am familiar with them and will try to help.where are you located?

·
Registered
nissan
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi Gasburner, im wanting to replace with an alternative,
trying to get al the specs without removing it as to reduce the time spent not operational,
im located in Brisbane

·
GHMBC #3
3,788 Posts
this is a replacement but air filter is not really suitable for a snorkel
Reco Holley Carburetor Conversion - Nissan GQ Patrol TB42

or a new one
Ford Maverick Carburettor 4x4 TB42 4 2L Carby 88 93 Model HOT RUN Tested | eBay

i know where there is a 2nd had one in perfect condition with about 95,000 k's on it for $250

you can rebuild your existing one with a fuel miser rebuild kit from repco for around $80 but get a genuine needle and float from nissan for about another $100.i have an old partly siezed one you could have for nothing if you wanted to go that way.
personally i would stay with original

there is a carby guy here in redcliffe with a good reputation but its a week wait and around $300 for a rebuild

·
Registered
nissan
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i should have been more specific, im looking for an alternative to the std nissan one,
the holleys are a little hit and miss, ive been scouring the net for specs so as i dont go to small or too big
on the seized one you have are you able to measure the throttle diameter for me ? that would be a big help
i will have to find one pulled apart to measure the venturi diameter,

·
GHMBC #3
3,788 Posts
looking for 330 cfm or there abouts,the tb 42 is 328 cfm and the same carby by recarb is adjusted for the rb30

·
Registered
nissan
486 Posts
i should have been more specific, im looking for an alternative to the std nissan one,
the holleys are a little hit and miss, ive been scouring the net for specs so as i dont go to small or too big
on the seized one you have are you able to measure the throttle diameter for me ? that would be a big help
i will have to find one pulled apart to measure the venturi diameter,
Nah if you go to the right place the Holley is a good set up. I got mine for the old Trol from a joint in Brisbane who builds them specifically for a 4wd application. More power better fuel efficiency. Holleys are sometimes misunderstood because a mates mate with a mullet installed a 750 double pumper on a 253 Holden and wondered why it didn't work. Or the same mulleted specimen put a 350 Holley on a 4wd with no modification regarding angles etc. Granted the Nissan units are better but can you get em new?

Recarb QLD are the shiz. Look em up on the net.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
The Tb42 and RB30 carbys are basically the same - but smaller jets etc on the rb30.

The repco kit does both carbys

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
A bit of topic sort of, but I remember RAY! Saying that he did some carby mods to his old gq back in the day. Drilled out his primary jet a pooftenth and same with the secondary. Reason being that on light throttle he got more power and hence less right foot resulting in better ecconomy, then had more power with wot and again needing less time at wot to achieve certain speeds etc. All this while achieving better ecconomy.

Reactions: homa
1 - 11 of 11 Posts