Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
TB42 Coolant Temperature Operating Range - 30C to ?

Hello all, just wondering what the nominal operating range for the TB42E engine?

Obviously it will start at 30 (ambient) degrees C, whats its peak temp? What is the limit of HOT on these engines?

Thank you.

I am getting an autometer temp guage so I can get an accurate temp reading, so I can keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
Are you talking Coolant Temp "nominal operating range" or ambient air temp "nominal operating range" that the engine will be OK in...

If it's the former it doesn't start at 0 Degrees if it's the latter they will work fine in temps well below 0.

The range will depend on the thermostat as I think there is different specs for Auto and Manual but not 100% on that.

I would suggest varying readings appropriate to load and ambient temp anywhere between 85 Degrees and 105 Degrees will be "normal" on a direct reading linear instrument like the Autometer but that might be a degree or two out one way or the other.

·
Registered
nissan
511 Posts
Are you talking Coolant Temp "nominal operating range" or ambient air temp "nominal operating range" that the engine will be OK in...

If it's the former it doesn't start at 0 Degrees if it's the latter they will work fine in temps well below 0.

The range will depend on the thermostat as I think there is different specs for Auto and Manual but not 100% on that.

I would suggest varying readings appropriate to load and ambient temp anywhere between 85 Degrees and 105 Degrees will be "normal" on a direct reading linear instrument like the Autometer but that might be a degree or two out one way or the other.

I've looking for some info on the upper end of the scale , for thanks for the 105

Most i've had mine is 100 , it was on a 43 degree and i was towing into a head wind with a trailer the size of a grannny flat! :)

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
It's kinda arbitary on so many variables but 100 means a nice efficient system so nothing wrong there by any stretch.

In general I'd only be concerned if the Thermo wasn't cracking until the 90's or the temp was going thru 105 ish and still heading North under high loads... OR... if there was a noticeable change in observed temps IE going to work day in day out it sits on say 90 but all of a sudden it starts sitting on 91 then 92 then 93...

The difference between a standard Perth head / tail wind blowing 30-35 KPH on the Freeway in my GU is about 4 degrees (92 and 88 degrees respectively) and about 12% difference in engine load. I see high 90's when towing into headwinds at 100 KPH and low 100's if longish uphill stretch as well. Then again there is a school of thought that the CRD's are designed to run hotter.

·
Registered
nissan
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry - not 0 degrees, just ambient temp say 30... Yeah mainly interested in the upper end of the scale.

Basically around 105/110 degrees max?

Thanks.

·
Registered
nissan
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Zero degrees edited. Silly me.

·
Registered
nissan
572 Posts
mine runs constantly at 69 C + 4C on a really hot day (when rolling), when stopped it will go up only 4C so i know everythings working. Most ive ever got it is 94C, even off road it sits at 74C.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts