Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I just picked myself up a cheap GQ with a TB42 Duel Fuel. The motor has 390,000k on it but is 1 owner, serviced every 5000k, tappets every 10000k with ALL receipts since brand new! :\

It has an Upper Cylinder Lubrication bottle (not sure if this is required or good?) and is still going strong at 390k, giving the service history and if being maintained the same, should the motor still see another 50-60,000K?

I got the truck for $2100 so figured the K's wernt really a problem at that price, if the motor does die I could always rebuild or just replace. Has anyone got any figures on Rebuilding a TB42?

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
nissan
165 Posts
mine has done 330000k's, its had a head done (by previous owner) and its duel fuel. my boss reckons they are pretty strong blocks and you'd have to run redline for 20 minutes to blow em.

·
Registered
nissan
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After talking with a few knowledgeable patrol guys seems I should be pretty fine for at least another 100,000 or more. I think the service history makes up for most of the reason why its still going strong.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
keep changing the coolant at regular intervals..
Many engine failures are caused by corrosion of aluminium parts from dead coolant.

·
Registered
nissan
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Mike, good info.

I will be dropping out all the oils and will remember to do the coolant aswell. On general, how long does Coolant usually last before going bad? Any recommendation of what sort I should use?

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Depends on your climate. I use distilled water and name brand corrosion inhibitor only, no glycol because it never gets below freezing here. I change it every 2 years and remove the radiator to give it a good flush out and pick the bugs etc out.
The TD42 has a drain plug on the block, not sure about the TB42. You will probably need a socket and a breaker bar to remove the plug.

there are tests and stuff you can do for the coolant, I just by 12 litres of distilled water from the supermarket and about $15 or so for the inhibitor. replacing is probably easier than testing.

·
Registered
nissan
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As for climate im in Pakenham, VIC so it gets pretty cool down here. When doing snow trips I may want to use some lower freezing temp coolants?

·
Registered
nissan
165 Posts
the lpg places recommend you change every 12 months, sounds a bit sus to me but i dont pay for coolant so im cool with it...... still have to change mine. i use genuine coolant at a ratio of 50%

·
Registered
539 Posts
Mine just ticked over 400,000ks on the weekend. Still going strong. Doesn't use oil.

I have had the head reco'd at about 360,000

1 - 9 of 9 Posts