Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
tb42! just got extractors whats the next performance step, its carby feed with lpg running an impco mixer. just fitted lukey extrators and 2.5 inch hi flow system. im not lookin to spend much, i was thinking of doing the dizzy/electronic (Pertronix Ignitor) i was also thinkin of a dual snorkel system to feed a sealed air box that would sit on top of the carby around the filter, n e one done this??? thinking of having the ducting entering the airbox at angles on opposing sides of the air box as to create a cyclonic effect inside the box. spoke to a couple ppl they recon it will work if u can get enough gas/petrol into the engin. n e thoughts???

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,149 Posts
cyclonic effect is a myth. also it can upset the gas side of things.
1 snorkel is heeps considering a petrol doesn't need an incredible amount of air
its a 4x4 not a racecar and since most 4x4 work is below 20 kmh there is no ram air effect anyway.

buy a decent set of Plugs and Leads
get an electric ignitiong system (Pertronix Ignitor)
Polish the inside of the intake mannifold
get the carbi rebuilt with bigger jets. or make an adapter and run a holly 650 double pumper

or TURBO it.

what size tyres? If your running 33'' or 35'' a set of diff gears to match will give a bigger increase then spending a few grand on the donk

·
Registered
nissan patrol
62 Posts
X2 dont bother with the twin snorkles, do ya self a favor and buy a petronix and replace all ya leads, plugs and cap. Best money i ever spent on my patrol..

·
Registered
nissan patrol
154 Posts
the days of a carby are long gone. get the efi off a later model then a turbo if u still want more.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,106 Posts
run a holly 650 double pumper
do you want him to over fuel the fck out of it?

a 650 Double pumper is a definite a no go on the tb42 imo,
most performance mild built V8's wont even run something so large, i ran a 650 double pumper on my 770 horsepower NA clevo

if your going to spend the money on a holly conversion i wouldn't go anything bigger then a 400 (would never run a holly on my 4wd to start with)

do the dizzy, coil, leads and plugs next to get that spark better, a better burn = more fuel ecconome and better power

·
Registered
nissan
503 Posts
inject it with a microtech ecu, vl turbo fuel pump, kn filter, full msd or ice ignition, up the compression and put a cam in it... very expensive for not much gain..

if you want serious power you need a good supercharged or turbo setup

·
Registered
nissan patrol
405 Posts
cant see how a pertronix system would help performace lol if you got no probs with electrical side of things leave it, tb42 arent a race motor but they do go well with good tune, dizzy set right and right air/fuel mix, personally i think stock carbs give motor too much fuel, i hear a webber of xf falcon is good conversion if running ulp, but if running gas then dizzy needs to be advanced more, can only really tune it to run one or other, a good tune on gas will make motor ping if switch to ulp, and good tune on ulp will make it sluggish if switch over to lpg, tune it to what u use most

·
Registered
Nissan patrol
1,610 Posts
cant see how a pertronix system would help performace lol if you got no probs with electrical side of things leave it, tb42 arent a race motor but they do go well with good tune, dizzy set right and right air/fuel mix, personally i think stock carbs give motor too much fuel, i hear a webber of xf falcon is good conversion if running ulp, but if running gas then dizzy needs to be advanced more, can only really tune it to run one or other, a good tune on gas will make motor ping if switch to ulp, and good tune on ulp will make it sluggish if switch over to lpg, tune it to what u use most
A stronger spark will always benefit a petrol motor.
Stronger spark = better combustion resulting in better power.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Dont waste your time, go Turbo. Can be done cheap plenty of people have.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
62 Posts
Going efi will not gibe you anymore power either. He said he doesnt want to spend to much money so turbo is out of the question.
As old mate said a stronger spark will give you better combustion there for better performance!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts