Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
manuals the real mans choice
nissan
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I have a 89 SWB with a TB42 done roughly 370k km's its dual fuel. It has a crane XR400 fireball system. What has happened is a few months ago the car developed a miss fire.. which in one night turned to the car backfiring loudly and missing terribly throughout the rev range. Replaced the coil and all sweet...

Problem has come back. So this time before I got stuck on the side of the road, I replaced the coil and ballast resistor. Still no fix. Also replaced leads. Still missing.

Has anyone had this problem or could help?

Items replaced are
Coil
Ballast resistor
Leads
Spark plugs (5000-10000kms ago)
Electronic ignition module (rebuilt about 10-15k km's)

I don't know if its fuel or spark. But mostly the autometer tacho jumps crazily when its missing. If you can help Thanks!

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,149 Posts
id also be checking the plugs.
on gas the plug gap becomes criticle as the gas/oxygen doesn't conduct as well at petrol/oxygen.
does it do it on both gas and petrol?

·
nissan
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah its doing it both on gas and petrol. I haven't looked at the dizzy itself. It was missing basically between 1-2k revs.. then it just goes erratically... and it does backfire. The miss didn't come back all the time.. It was like it missed once then 10 minutes later it missed again.. I thought if it was the dizzy it would do it all the time constantly.

·
Right Turn Clyde
nissan patrol
1,052 Posts
Mates TB has had a miss in it on and off for a while, recently the alternator reg started playing up really bad one day on a trip.
Car would miss fire, lift the bonnet and tap the reg and the miss fire would go.
Check your charge rate etc, could be something like that

cheers,

·
nissan
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The cap and rotor appear newish, wouldn't be surprised if they were. There wasn't any big cracks or anything but I don't really know what I'm looking for. The shaft doesn't have any play in it.

·
nissan
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Charge rate is 13.4ish volts.. It's terrible.

The car does smell fuely at the moment, like when it's idling it smells pretty fuelly or gassy. (lack of better terms) The car won't rev otherwise it misses.

·
Registered
nissan
3 Posts
Hi,"newbie" I might be,but my 2 bobs worth----maybe check the fuel change-over switch?Running a mixture of both petrol and lpg together doesn't go well.

·
nissan
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've had that problem before.. this seems more electronic because when my car was dual fuelling it wouldn't idle.. ATM it does idle.

Timing is set at whatever the LPG shop set it at. =/

·
Registered
nissan patrol
405 Posts
i had same prob, theres 2 fuseable wires coming from battery, one large white wire with red stripe and smaller red wire, cut the red wire

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,149 Posts
Nono cut the blue wire... lol

·
Registered
nissan partol GQ
915 Posts
Have you checked your valve clearances, its a known problem on dual fuel due to the valves pulling into the head and closing up the rocker gap.

·
nissan
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
so you tried my idea and didnt fix problem??? very strange
Yeah... I took the fuse out:confused:

Eh. will check stuff later. I don't want to keep paying someone to keep tuning the car every 2-3 months. :confused:

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,106 Posts
i had same prob, theres 2 fuseable wires coming from battery, one large white wire with red stripe and smaller red wire, cut the red wire

regarding the wire itself,
whats it power? that removing the power source stops what from doing ?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
405 Posts
Yeah... I took the fuse out:confused:

Eh. will check stuff later. I don't want to keep paying someone to keep tuning the car every 2-3 months. :confused:

lol there is no fuse apart from fusable wire bit, and unplugging that will also unplug other wire, needs to be cut after fusable wire, simple connection to rejoin it if have to but wire is not needed and only causes problems

1 - 20 of 34 Posts