Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, will try and keep this brief. Had a few problems with my car cranking over, generally has been starting once then won't start again after minimal drain from the battery. My first thought was alternator, but I'm getting 13.8V at idle which apparently is ok. Anyway, had to go to work so put my battery on charge for the week, popped her back in fully charged, and now I just got a click and no response from the motor at all. I want to get the battery tested but its only 6 months old so not expecting any problems there, so could my starter motor be shot? Heard something about starter motors drawing more than they should and giving you the impression of a flat battery, when in fact the battery is fine but the starter is gone. I have tried wacking the solenoid and that didn't work.

·
Premium Member
nissan
5,279 Posts
Yes it could be your starter motor. The brushes could be at the end of their life or the solenoid could be cactus. To test these however the starter motor generally needs to be removed and dismantled. I would however be starting with other causes that are easier to test before removing starter motor. You say that your alternator is charging which sounds fine but just because your battery is only 6 months old doesn't mean it is ok. It could be a combination of things. If your starter motor has been on its way out it could have been drawing more current than it should thus destroying your battery quickly as well. I would definitely load test your battery regardless of its age. Other easy things to check are the connections to the starter motor and earth. Make sure they are clean and secure.

I also assume your battery charger is a smart charger ( turns off or goes into a float cycle when charged ) as leaving a battery on charge for a week is a long time. If it isn't the battery could have been destroyed due to overcharging.

Others might have other ideas.

·
Registered
nissan
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers Franky. I ended up pulling the starter motor anyway yesterday and my old man has taken it to inspect the internals for me. Going to run the battery back to supercheap for a test today, still under warranty so if any problems, hopefully they replace it

·
Registered
nissan
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Didn't get to supercheap, but topped up the battery again, disconnected the charger, battery was at about 13.3V then....2 hours later, without being connected to anything its at 11.3V. I'm no auto sparky but that has got to be bad news for the battery, yeah?

·
Registered
nissan
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And can anyone tell me how to check earths and where they are located? Another thing I've been told to do. I'm guessing just checking they are clean and have connection?

·
Premium Member
nissan
5,279 Posts
And can anyone tell me how to check earths and where they are located? Another thing I've been told to do. I'm guessing just checking they are clean and have connection?
Yep as I suspected your battery is rooted. Not holding a charge. But why? Something has ripped the guts out of it. Your starter motor is the next port of call.

As for the earths there are two standard earths. From the neg of the cranking battery to the body just underneath the battery which also splits and goes to the engine intake manifold. I have added an extra earth to the chassis as well.

I don't think a bad earth is the issue here if you are getting a reading of 13.5volts or more while running across the battery.

The battery was a dud, or it has been sucked dry by something.

·
Registered
nissan
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got my battery replaced today, took it in fully charged, and on their test they got 13.3V but only 74CCA. Going to get an auto sparky to look over my car soon to see if there is something else goibg on. The starter motor was inspected and all is good there

1 - 8 of 8 Posts