Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically I have had issues with getting my GQ to start since I bought it. The issue is occasionally it won't even attempt to turn over. It just sits there and does nothing. I can hear the solenoid kicking in but nothing happens.

To start with I replaced the starter, this fixed the problem for a while then it came back again. I assumed it was a dead battery so I had it load tested (it failed) and I replaced it. This fixed the problem for a while but recently it started doing it again.

I got stuck, away from home, and it wouldn't start, I checked the battery and it was at 12.2v so a little low, but it should still try to turn over. I gave it a little tap with a hammer and it started up fine. Checked the voltage and it was sitting at 13.3 at idle, so I don't think its the alternator, I'll need to test it with everything running to be sure though.

I ripped the starter off and took it back to the auto elec I bought it off, but he's yet to get back to me.

But the thing I'm expecting him to tell me its ok and to try and dodge out on replacing it. What I want to know is there anything else that could cause the car not to start until I tapped the starter. I've been told a damaged ring gear could cause it, and I do occasionally get grinding sounds when I try to crank it. But from what I understand a damaged ring gear would cause the starter not to mesh correctly, not stall it.

I'm at my wits end with it, and I'm starting a new job where I need to drive 200km a day so I want the damn thing reliable, at the moment I can never trust the bloody thing.

·
Registered
nissan
399 Posts
If you need to tap the starter, its the starter thats playing up.
the gear sticks and doesnt engage the flywheel, hence when you tap it, it 'unsticks' and works normally.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Sticking solenoid on the starter is probably the cause of this problem, when you "tap the starter" it un-sticks it.

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
13.3 volts at idle is too low , your battery wont be getting charged very well at all , at 12.2 volts the battery is about 60% charged , i would be looking at your alt , earths and main power cables

·
Registered
368 Posts
I had this issue with mine,ended up being excess voltage drop in starter system,even after fitting new starter motor.what you can do is run the trigger wire to switch side on a relay, wire output to starter trigger solenoid . constant 12v to relay(fused) and earth relay.also run an extra 12v feed to the main starter wire, and should have a good strong current to the starter motor.

·
Registered
368 Posts
13.3 volts at idle is too low , your battery wont be getting charged very well at all , at 12.2 volts the battery is about 60% charged , i would be looking at your alt , earths and main power cables
brand new battery wont charge more than 13.9v.to accurately measure the alternator otput, check at the back of the alternator not at the battery.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts