Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just need a bit of advice. I've got a tb42 maverick running straight gas research. Recently serviced it, as I found it had no oil on the dipstick at all, put 8l of fresh oil and and filter, now 3000ks later it's only reading half on the dipstick. Put 3l in it and now its well over full (whoops) but I can't work out where the oil has gone.
Theres no leaks anywhere I can see, no oil in coolant and no coolant in the oil. It also does not blow any smoke whatsoever.

Anyone got any ideas?

·
just a good guy.
2009 gu ute
9,529 Posts
no. 1 a tb42 holds 10 litres of oil from empty. rings maybe worn and blowing oil out exhaust as smoke. sure checking oil dipstick and not auto trans one. could be rear main seal leaking into bell housing.

·
Registered
nissan
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh really? Local shop computers said 8 but if you say 10 that would make more sense.
Already thought of rear main but I have a manual so surely any oil leaked in there would ruin my clutch?

·
Registered
nissan
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Doing a clutch soon anyway so I'll do the rear main while im going I think.

·
GHMBC #3
nissan patrol gq lwb,3"lift.
3,788 Posts
what oil you using?mine uses oil if I use castrol or a servo brand.penrite gas doesn't disappear.and mine takes 8 ltrs with the filter

·
Registered
nissan
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nulon 20w60 high mileage im pretty sure..

·
GHMBC #3
nissan patrol gq lwb,3"lift.
3,788 Posts
try penrite for gas- hpr10 with zinc,good gear

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Pull the plugs, check if the have a carbon build up

·
Registered
nissan
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys I'll have a go at that. It the plugs are built up with carbon what exactly does that tell me?

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Oh really? Local shop computers said 8 but if you say 10 that would make more sense.
Already thought of rear main but I have a manual so surely any oil leaked in there would ruin my clutch?
TB42 on an oil change with new filter takes 8.2litres of engine oil

1 - 10 of 10 Posts