Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya guys my patrol randomly and completely dies/cuts out for no more the 5 seconds before returning to normal, it does it at anytime cold/warm sitting or driving it starts fine. When it happens no lights come up on the dash just looks completely dead. it's a tb42 carby straight petrol electronic ignition, it has good leads, plugs, coil seems good, fuel, filters, new vac advance, no resistor, everything looks okay and runs perfect. Any ideas? Could it be the coil or maybe the dizzy? There is stuff all play in the dizzy but wondering if it still could be that

·
Registered
Nissan
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it were fuel would it chug and sound starved? I feel it's electrical as there's no warning before it happens, but I'll definitely check the filters again

·
Registered
nissan
212 Posts
Sounds electrical to me. Try running the car in the driveway and moving the wiring in the engine bay or ( under the dash) up to the ignition switch. I'm tipping that there is something loose or broken in there. Could be an earth too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
Nissan
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers dybo, I did try jiggling the key in the ignition whilst driving but that didn't do much, I'll go have a look under the dash for bad wires

·
Registered
Nissan
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I Messed about with wires under the dash and engine bay whilst it was running nothing happened, could it possibly be the pertronics is starting to fail?

·
Registered
nissan
54 Posts
Many years ago I had a similar issue, which was eventually traced to a faulty ignition switch. Took a lot of trial and error to get there though...
How often does it happen? Every time you drive it, or just once in a blue moon?
If it happens frequently, perhaps run a crocodile-clip lead from the battery to the coil, and see if it stops doing it, you know that the problem is somewhere in the low-tension wiring leading to the coil.

·
Registered
Nissan
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's almost every drive, it only happens once, I'll wire up the coil for next time I drive it and connect it to the battery, where's the ignition switch located?

·
Registered
nissan
212 Posts
It's almost every drive, it only happens once, I'll wire up the coil for next time I drive it and connect it to the battery, where's the ignition switch located?

Where you put the key in

·
Registered
nissan
212 Posts
No worries.

In response to your other question, I wouldn't think that it's the pertronix if the symptoms include loss of dash lights. To me (and I'm only guessing) it will be a power wire coming from the battery area into cab or the around the ignition switch or (as suggested by Peter Connan) the ignition switch itself.

How many kms has the bus done? If lots, this might be an indicator towards the ignition - they are reasonably cheap to replace (~$100 on ebay with new door locks too!)

·
Registered
Nissan
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah it definitely makes sense about power wire instead of pertronix, I was under the bonnet again today still haven't found the cause, thanks for the reply's, and if I found the issue I'll make sure to post it up

·
Registered
291 Posts
Many years ago I had a similar issue, which was eventually traced to a faulty ignition switch. Took a lot of trial and error to get there though...
How often does it happen? Every time you drive it, or just once in a blue moon?
If it happens frequently, perhaps run a crocodile-clip lead from the battery to the coil, and see if it stops doing it, you know that the problem is somewhere in the low-tension wiring leading to the coil.
+1 for the ignition switch.
Mine was doing the same a few months ago. It's a bugger to get the switch out of the rear of the ignition barrel, and not much better pulling it apart (it's not meant to come apart = all swaged together).
The contacts inside get dirty and burnt, which makes a poor or broken circuit powering the ignition coil.
once it's apart, it only takes 5 minutes with a dremel wire wheel to clean them up good as new. Lube with a bit of silicone grease and put it all back together.

Reactions: Nathan_gqlife

·
Registered
Nissan
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cheers trollbasher, looks like my arvo is sorted pulling that apart for a clean I might aswell hookup a kill switch whilst I'm at it, I'll let you fellas know how I go 👌👌

·
Registered
Nissan
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay so I went out and pulled the ignition switch apart, from the pictures it was in poor shape, so I gave them a quick clean and reassembled it, time will tell if that was the problem, I'll take it for a good drive Tommory and see what happens. Thanks for the advice fellas it's much appreciated!
IMG20191118153900.jpg
IMG20191118154049.jpg

·
Registered
291 Posts
Beautiful job ! - switch looked blackened so hopefully it's the problem.

Reactions: grumpyone

·
Registered
Nissan
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Hey fellas, warmed the gq up as normal today pulled out the drive way and it died for a second or so again, still drove it about 80km round trip I'll drive it till it dies for good. it would be easier to know what's wrong then, I'm sh*t out of ideas haha is worth buying a new ignition switch?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Ok - my previous GQ was a TB42 carby / points ignition. Used to "kick" every so often. Fitted electronic ignition, extended rotor, changed condensers, new leads, new dizzy cap, new coil, beefed the wiring. Still couldn't beat it. Finally listened to the wife who had always said "the problem only started after you fitted the driving lights". Fusible link from the battery had dirty connections and would get hot and voltage drop power to the ignition. Swapped the fusible links for good soldered wiring and circuit breakers. Problem fixed,
Current GQ - EFi TB42e. This is the one I had trouble with the ignition switch - found it one day sheer fluke. I'd already done the fusible link to circuit breaker mods when I first bought it. After cleaning the switch terminals no more problems. .......... except - stick flew up inside engine bay and tore earth wire off side of dizzy - 5 minute fix.

Now you know more than I do. - sorry the ignition switch didn't fix it for you.

·
Registered
Nissan
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cheers trollbasher, So I went out and checked over all my wires for the spotties and light bar ect, everything looked good, I'm trying to narrow down certain times it cuts out, I don't loose complete power (CD player and temp gauge stays on) and It seems to do it more so after I've turned a corner or rounderbout, this has me stumped

·
Registered
Nissan
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Okay fellas, update it maybe completely useless but going back to the possibility of a fuel issue I changed out the back fuel filter again with a clear one, my guess return line? And had the car running for 5-10 minutes and it stayed bone dry is that normal?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts