Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
GU Patrol
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my tb42 patrol about 2 months and it's always had a ticking sound, like a dodgy lifter or sumfin. It does it as soon as it's started. Gave it an oil and filter change the other day but didnt help it at all. I've never adjusted rockers before so yesterday i gave those a shot. They all seemed fine but loosened and redone em, set them to 17thou (im running lpg) and still hasnt changed the ticking.

Any idea's? I grew up with holden 5L's so if they were ticking it was oil pressure or lifters.....so now im outta ideas unless it is actually a dodgy lifter. What else could i check? Apparently it got a reco head a few months before i bought it but have no proof. Cheers.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
425 Posts
Following this as mine has the same issue. I have LPG and a backfire tube on mine so is very complicated to remove.

·
Registered
GU Patrol
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If i was planning on keeping the tb42 i'd just rip it out and rebuild it, but dont wanna go spend tooo much cash on it coz im tryin to save for a td42 conversion lol

·
GHMBC #3
nissan patrol gq lwb,3"lift.
3,788 Posts
in my opinion tb42's on gas should have a 'tick' which is slightly loose rocker/tappet adjustment.
the reason being as the dry gas burns it washes the bore and creates a clean combustion chamber
and this combined with a softer allow head makes the valve seats prone to valve seat recession.
lpg has no upper cylinder lube like the old leaded fuel so if yr timing and mixture isn't spot on problems develop such as hot spots around the valves on the head and valve seats wearing.

running dual fuel can exaggerate these issues mainly due to timing as petrol and lpg require a different curve for optimum performance.

if your tappets tick you know the valves are closing before the combustion mixture burns so the valve seat is not exposed to a flame/explosion in a slightly open position.if your tappets tick and then slowly quieten down and stop you know the valve is receding into the head and a miss or backfire will develop.

so to answer your question Box maybe the 17 thou still 'tick' because you have a bit of wear on top of
valve stem/rocker contact face.I would try 16 thou and see if it goes or quietens down and adjust till a slight tick is left.I also like my dedicated lpg tb42 to use/burn a half ltr between changes so I know some oil residue is in the upper cylinder lubing the valves.my engine has just over 100,000 k's on it and runs nice

·
Registered
GU Patrol
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thx mate, finally got around to doin em again, this time at 16 thou....and she's the quietest she's ever been lol. Can still hear a faint ticking but it's magic now lol. Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts