Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New 1988 Patrol in the garage! 8)

TB42, carb'd, auto gearbox, Gulf specs.

Trying to figure out this vacuum hose. It's been closed off by previous owner.

It links to the carb here:

and it's the third at the bottom of these three lines. The top one goes to the vacuum advance on the distributor, the middle one snakes down to the charcoal canister.

But the bottom one has been closed with a bolt, for reasons unknown.

Thanks!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers - thanks for having a look.

That's good, then. I guess because I have an auto gearbox the closed off line is ok.

The return line from the vacuum canister on mine goes down to a metal pipe on the top of the left fender, and snakes back along the firewall behind the engine, to then drop down towards the transmission. That should tell the tranny what the engine load is so it can shift accurately. There's also a return line from the tranny back up to the engine (which was disconnected as the hose had cracked off, so I've already replaced that)

You guys have manual gears, right?

Here's a pic of the two lines off the charc can. One comes in and it's the middle one of the three I was asking about, and the other goes down to the tranny.

Thanks for helping clear that up :)

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Have a look at this thread - its for a manual tb42S http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/niss...averick-11/lay-out-vacuum-hoses-tb42s-198026/

Check that the idle hose is connected to the correct location

I thought the main difference between the manual and auto tb42s with the carby was that the auto version of the carby has a throttle sensor - used for kick down

Just checked my manual, there should be 2 hoses going to the carby from the charcoal canister and a hose to the fuel tank (ie the canister should have 3 hoses)

·
Registered
nissan patrol
285 Posts
Mines an auto... 89 model... Three hoses from canister. One to tank. Two to the carby. The tranny kicks down via the throttle position sensor on the front of the carby.

I'm tipping someone didn't know what the go was with yours so blocked it off.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks - yes, fuel tank, not tranny. And it says so on the canister itself, doh!

But, there's only connections for two hoses. One vacuum, and the other fuel tank. See the photo. On the left by the yellow dot it says DIST VC.

Since it's not a difference due to auto vs maybe it's a Gulf specs thing?

Thanks for the link to the pic of where the vacuum hoses should go. I was waiting for the Haynes to come, but now I can start right away! It idles like crap.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Check the vacuum hoses

Most often poor idle is due to a gamed up carby.

I have also seen issues where the carby is loose - due to three internal screws coming undone - grab the top of the carby and give it a shake

You might need to put a kit though it.

The after market kits are ok - but use an original needle and seat

Your canister seems to have 3 connections identified dist, Purge and fuel tank

·
Registered
Nissan
104 Posts
I. Have an 89 tb42 auto and mine are running off the three metal pipes as following,
Top/ from rear of carb to dissy
Middle/ from front of carb to carbon can
Bottom/ from manifold to carbon can.

Also with the canister photo u posted, just check to see that a pipe hasent broken off under the nissan side of it as there should be 2 there. I'll post a photo to better explain.

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Perfect! That's exactly what happened - the nipple broke off, and the happy chappy just removed the line altogether rather than replace the can.

You guys rock: cheers!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts