Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
nissan gq
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found the plate on the right hand side of the motor was leaking coolant tonight.
It sit's under the intake manifold and is hard to get to,it looks like you have to take the manifold off but i found that you can it from underneath fairly easy if you take the starter motor out.
Most of you may already know this but i thought i would post this tip for those that don,t.

·
Registered
nissan
399 Posts
I have an oil leak on one of my GQ's and i thought it was coming from one of these plates - guess its somewhere else.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
You may still be correct, that plate is the oil cooler/heat exchanger, it has both oil and water going through/under it.

·
Registered
nissan
399 Posts
Hopefully it is just that, otherwise its either stuffed oil filter thread or the head is leaking (or something more towards the front of the block).
Eitherway, doesnt look like an easy area to work in.
the oil filter is hard enough to change.

·
Registered
nissan gq
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There's welsh plugs behind that plate not sure if their into water or oil.If it is leaking oil from there it would mean a stuffed welsh plug (if they go into oil) and the water would have oil in it.
My money's on the oil filter or even the tappet cover.

·
Registered
nissan
399 Posts
No oil in water or water in oil.
Ill give the plate a bit of a tighten and see if that helps.
The oil filter has just been replaced and it felt fine when installing.
Have also made sure its done up properly too.
Tappet cover is also tight and not leaking.
This oil leak has been there a while - looking at the engine bay full of oil and dirt (recently bought vehicle).

·
Registered
368 Posts
I found the plate on the right hand side of the motor was leaking coolant tonight.
It sit's under the intake manifold and is hard to get to,it looks like you have to take the manifold off but i found that you can it from underneath fairly easy if you take the starter motor out.
Most of you may already know this but i thought i would post this tip for those that don,t.
Havent seen these plates leak coolant before, seeing as behind the side plates there's pushrods...

if you can get hold of a cooling system pressure tester it'd make diagnosing so much easier for yourself.under the manifold theres lots of bas!*ard cooling system hoses and welsh plugs that are common to leak.I'd be pressure testing it, and checking the leak with a telescopic mirror so you can get right under the manifold without getting wet!

·
Registered
nissan gq
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Havent seen these plates leak coolant before, seeing as behind the side plates there's pushrods...

if you can get hold of a cooling system pressure tester it'd make diagnosing so much easier for yourself.under the manifold theres lots of bas!*ard cooling system hoses and welsh plugs that are common to leak.I'd be pressure testing it, and checking the leak with a telescopic mirror so you can get right under the manifold without getting wet!
Here's a pic of what im talking about has water running behind hence the coolant leakage from that spot

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts