Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey im undergoing a td42t conversion in my 92 gq st patrol i just need to know a couple of things the first problem the tb42e clutch has got vaccum lines running to the booster can it still work with a td42? the second problem i know you have to change the loom from under the pass seat but does that mean all under the dash aswell? third problem when i change the loom do i have to change all the head light plugs and etc?
and my 4th problem my car is currently on lpg how shall i go when i drop the lpg tank will gas escape if the tank isnt bone dry?
and i know i will have to change fuel lines and tanks and the cluster cause obvisouly the petrol cluster doesnt have a glow plug symbol !
and btw i will have a doner car to get all my bits and peices from so it will make things 10times easyer

some help would be grateful and i will have lots of room and time to get this conversion done so there is no rush
Cheers Bevin.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
1: yes, there is a vacuum pump on the back of the alternator or below the fuel pump depending which version engine you get. there are some hard steel lines run across the firewall to the passengers side.

2: the loom under the passengers seat does rear lights, fuel sender. not sure why you'd change that. Yes you will probably have to pull the dash out if you change the internal loom.

3: dont know.

4: run it out of fuel if it still runs, it doesn't matter if you cant except it will be rather heavy to move. inside the tank cover is a valve. close the valve, should be turn clockwise to close. I'd leave the tank in if its still in date, you might want to go dieselgas.

5: You should just have to stick a bulb in the glow plug section of the dash, at least I assume so, that is how they do hiluxes. BTW you can use the same fuel lines if you flush them out, just like the tank, you may need to redirect them a bit though. suction line is 3/8 and return line is 1/4 minimum size. You'll probably find they are both 3/8 on yours anyway.

6: have you got a donor car and are you in WA? I'm stripping a ute and I'm removing and selling all of these pieces you are talking about. fuel lines have been chopped gone in scrap metal bin. a lot of assorted bits are going in the bin but if you want to buy them and are in Perth I'll take the time to remove them from the cab before it goes.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,540 Posts
Your clutch booster will work fine if you hook up the vacuum, otherwise your clutch will feel really heavy. You'll have to hook up the vacuum for the brakes, so just do the clutch too.

Don't bother changing the loom, it is all one piece in the front- lights/ engine/ dash / radio.
I converted from a TB42S to a TD42. The fuel cut uses the same plug, so all I had to do is extend the wires for the alternator, temp switch, and tacho. You'll need the diesel tacho for your dash because the petrol one won't work. I had to do a bit of work with the starter relay too because my truck used to be auto, It should be easier with yours being a manual. I've also got a glow relay with a push button on the dash, but you could install the original timer and light if you like the extra work. Changing the loom seems like an awful lot of unnecessary effort.

Your LPG tank should have a shut off valve. It's illegal to let the gas out into the atmosphere, but it's not like that hasn't happened before.;)

·
Registered
nissan gq
49 Posts
i have gone down the same road. only i changed the wiring to sute the td42.
my tb42 was turboed so it made it easy to turbo the diesel. rebuilt the diesel before i droped it in though.

·
Registered
nissan
11,202 Posts
i done it and changed the loom. made it real easy imo. as said either use the diesel cluster or just put diesel tacho in your dash and put a globe in the glow plug spot. you will have to pull the dash out though and the headlight wires and stuff will all be changed due to the harness being all one peice. but its still pretty easy. and no need to replace rear harness its exactly the same.
lines and tank are the same. vacuum wont be hard to sort out. if the diesel vehicle now doesnt have vacuum clutch booster just put a t piece in the hose that goes to brake booster and run the other to the clutch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts