Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

I've recently started a TD42t conversion so I thought I'd post up a progress/how to/question thread.

I'm trying to take as many photo's as possible along the way.

I found myself a cheap TD42t GQ silvertop with 220,000 on the clock. It has a DTS turbo kit and a straight out 3" exhaust.

The original motor in my 1996 GQ is a TB42e duel fuel (petrol/gas).

I started out by stripping the electrics from the TB.

Intake and airbox off, plus some more wiring.

Once everything was unbolted it was time to lift the motor out.

We had a great deal of trouble trying to get the exhaust unbolted so we cut it off.

The top gearbox/bellhousing bolts were a pain to get out but thanks to a persistent brother and a few Bundies they came free.

After a bit of a struggle, taking a spotlight off and letting the tyres down the motor was out.

Once the motor was out we went about stripping the unnercesary petrol/gas parts from the engine bay. Things such as gas loom, charcoal canister, ULP breather line.

I also had fun crawling under the dash and removing the in cab dash wiring and pissing off the old, broken cruise control system at the same time.

·
Registered
nissan
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After messing around with rusty old exhaust bolts I bit the bullet and went and bought myself a rattlegun and compressor.
After that the rest of the old exhaust came off without a drama.

(picture coming soon)

I'm currently in the process of removing the gas tank but I'm having some trouble due to where the bolts are located. Once that is out the donor car comes apart and the transplant begins.

I'll update this thread as the conversion progresses.

·
Registered
Nissan Safari
1,804 Posts
Watching with interest as I was thinking I may do the same. Yours auto or manual.

·
Registered
nissan
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update time!

RDO today so quite a bit got done.

I started by finally removing the rest of the TB exhaust.

Followed by the gas line that runs along the chassis.

I'm still struggling to get the last bolt out of the gas tank. I've moved onto other things for now.

Now the fun starts! A picture of the TD42t before dismantling.

Intake and second battery tray.

Radiator removed (you need to use the TD radiator as the inlets are on opposite sides).

Continued below...

·
Registered
nissan
16 Posts
Chipping away at disconnecting the loom and bolt ons...

I didn't get many photo's of removing the rest of the parts as it's not overly interesting.

Notable mentions from this stage:
  • Thankfully I could disconnect the exhaust just after the dump pipe so I didn't have to worry about disconnecting at the turbo
  • The bellhousing bolts were once again a right pain in the gluteus to remove. Easier to get to than on the TB though as it didn't have as much **** in the way.
  • The bellhousing took quite a bit of praising to get it to detach from the engine. Lots of vertical force and a jimmy bar helped.

A convenient hole made getting the left hand engine mount out easy.

Getting ready to be lifted out.

Always needs more WD40..

And lift!

Here it is in all it's glory!

Next step is to slap in my new Exedy Tuff clutch and rear main seal hopefully within in the next day or two. After that the real fun begins!

I'll keep this thread updated with the progress.

·
Registered
nissan
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The conversions all done, just haven't updated the thread. I'll update with all the info in the coming days.

·
Registered
nissan
17 Posts
So how did it all go? I have a 92 TB42E and looking at some time down the track of going to disle.

So far I need a whole new engine and radiator and exhaust. Sounds hexy so far

1 - 10 of 10 Posts