Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need to change mine. Have not checked them (the back ones at least) for ten years as they are almost impossible to get at. Is there a way to get at them without removing the intake manifold complete with plenum chamber. Help.:(

·
Registered
175 Posts
You dont need to take anything off at all. Maybe just a different socket extention or just have a man size go.......There a bitch to get out but time consumeing.

·
Registered
GU8 CRD
1,561 Posts
They're pretty easy to access with an extension and uni with the rocker cover off. With the cover off you can do the tappet adjustment at the same time.

·
Registered
851 Posts
just a plug socket, a universal joint, an extension bar and a handle and you don't need to take anything off. But if you haven't done the tappets in ten years do the lot together.

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Just done mine
Absolute NIGHTMARE if you dont remove the inlet pipe from the airbox to the throttle body
Dont need to remove the rocker cover at all

·
Registered
nissan
884 Posts
There a pain, but you gotta do them. Cant have them in there for 10 years! I change mine every 10,000kms, even though the Iridiums last 50-60K kms apparently. Pain, but a nice extention bar off a 3/8 ratchet and a nice wobble bit :)

Make sure you use anti-seize on the threads and di-electric grease in the boots.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bit the Bullet

Well I decided to tackle it today. Took me half the day, and after removing numerous bits of plumbing it wasn't as hard as I thought. BUT after seeing the condition of the plugs that haven't been changed for ten years on a motor that has done 340,000 kilometeres, I think to myself, why did I bother.
Apart from the fact that the spark gap is more like 1.2mm instead of .9mm, they are in excellent condition, and indicate that the motor is still in great condition. Gotta love the TB42.:D

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There a pain, but you gotta do them. Cant have them in there for 10 years! I change mine every 10,000kms, even though the Iridiums last 50-60K kms apparently. Pain, but a nice extention bar off a 3/8 ratchet and a nice wobble bit :)

Make sure you use anti-seize on the threads and di-electric grease in the boots.

Do you have OCD??

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I could have re-gapped these plugs and they would probably last another ten years. A spark plug is just two bits of metal separated by a ceramic insulator. They don't wear out. Yes they can break down due to failure of the insulation or by fouling from oil in the combustion chamber, but if the engine is in good condition, with regular checking, there is no limit to the life of a a spark plug.

·
Registered
nissan
884 Posts
To be technical they DO wear out. The ground electrode and electrode itself erodes from the arc every single time the ignition fires. While small it still erodes. Also small cracks in the ceramic and other variables will cause the plug to degrade over time.

When you said they havnt been changed in 10 years, that 1.2mm gap is probably because the electrode has worn away. Just throw some new ones in. Why put 10 year old plugs back in when they are so cheap?

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Spark plugs do wear out ,even some new ones dont last as long as recomended
It really does depend on the engines condition as to a plug life duration
IF the engine is in tip top condition , then yes they will last a while
But if the engine is half buggered you can shorten the plugs life span very considerably
10 years outta plugs,thats pritty good
But like most things made nowadays they are a dispensable item

1 - 11 of 11 Posts