Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all just wondering your throughs on the tb45 are I know they are thirst but what are they like are the reliable? How many kms have you got out of them? Any common problems?

·
Registered
nissan/patrol
653 Posts
The 4.5L is a pretty good donk in regards to reliability, thirsty bugger that's for sure. I'm pretty happy with my 4.5L auto wagon which also has LPG fitted. A little under powered when going up steep hills but other than that mine fly's on the open highway. Mine has 253000 odd K's on it has been regularly serviced doesn't use any oil or water doesn't blow any smoke and no signs of oil leaks, I have been told these engines are basically bulletproof much like the bigger 4.8L brother. If it ever comes to an engine rebuild I might look at fitting a supercharger or such just for that extra bit of grunt for the hills. I'm not aware of any common problems with the 4.5L at all.

·
Registered
Nissan
53 Posts
I would buy a 250k kms 4.5 without a worry. I wouldn't touch a 3.0 litre with the same kilometres.
They are thirsty but they are also the most powerful engine of that era.

·
Premium Member
nissan
151 Posts
I have a 4.5 that has done just over 300,000Ks - they are tough and reliable but very thirsty. It will cruise all day at 110 but is a slug up hills and the auto, whilst strong, continually shifts up hills. If your budget can stretch to it I would get a 4.8 - much more usable power and no thirstier than a 4.5.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
143 Posts
280 on the clock for mine. Just petrol not gas. Best thing I did was for a torque converter lock up kit. Saved a heap of fuel by doing it aswell

·
Registered
nissan
6 Posts
very reliable donk,mine uses20 to 25ltrsgas a 100k=$13. to$15, a 100k that's with muddies, lift ,steelbar and winch , fully loaded with gear,climbs everything in the high country ease.on petrol it uses 14 to 19ltrs a 100k =$18 to$25 to a 100k

·
Registered
nissan/patrol
653 Posts
280 on the clock for mine. Just petrol not gas. Best thing I did was for a torque converter lock up kit. Saved a heap of fuel by doing it aswell
lufkin where did you get your torque converter lock up kit from and how much?

·
Registered
nissan
254 Posts
Bigfella, I have 185000 on mine, auto and gas, had to replace a couple of gas converters. I want to keep it to 250000. have you had any head or auto issues?, Rod

·
Registered
nissan/patrol
653 Posts
Hey Rod, Ive only had the vehicle for 9 months and in that time I have had no problems whatsoever. Auto is silky smooth, I did change the coolant when I bought it and no problems theree.

·
Registered
nissan
254 Posts
Good news bigfella, i got mine at 70,000 and had a few overheating probs but new rad and viscous hub sorted that out, have changed auto oil twice and had to get tappets adjusted once. Auto oil is clean as and engine oil is pretty clean every 10,000 service. I have no oil leaks anywhere it is like new. I love it! But it is a bit of a slug with 2 ton caravan on the back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
nissan/patrol
653 Posts
Been wondering about doing my tappets, their a bit tick tick tick, from what other 4.5L Ive heard they all seem to do the same, so yer dunno really. I'm running 10/40 Castrol Magnetec oil.

·
Registered
nissan
254 Posts
Mine idles rough on petrol and good on lpg, depends on the tune i guess. Can any one offer more info on adjusting tappets on tb45 ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts