Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

Looking at doing the Simpson Desert in July next year. I have spent countless hours researching TB48 fuel usage with no real good info. I have had a chat to Simon Christie from 4wd TV and he said he used 210L for 310km's in his TB48 auto. Sounds extremely high. Basically if you have done it in a petrol patrol 45 or 48 can you answer the following
questions.

-How much did your TB48 (preferably auto) use during your simpson crossing?
-What direction?
-How many km's did you cover? (need this to figure out L/100km figures)
-What tracks did you take to get that usage?

NOT TO BE RUDE BUT I DON'T WANT TO KNOW WHAT YOUR CRD or diesel USED!!! Can only seem to find figures for diesel vehicles.

BTW the car is a 2010 TB48 auto, can carry 215L onboard and another 40L in jerry cans on the rear bar. Car is running 35's with 4.3 ratios. Got a heap of other mods but the only other fuel consumption killer is the roofrack which will have 2 swags on it. (can't see it having a big effect on fuel figures during the crossing due to low speed).

I have come across generic fuel guides that I have recalculated to suit my car and want to see if my calcs compare with peoples actual experience. Pretty much all the guides say a petrol 6 uses 16L/100 on the highway, mine uses 20-22L/100 (but worked out on 22). The same guide says the petrol 6 will use 34.5L/100 on a desert crossing. Now my fuel usage is 37.5% higher then the highway figure in the chart, if I apply this to the desert figure I am at 48L/100km. I have never done any long sand runs that have allowed me to come up with a real figure. (the longest was 100km of beach sand - but couldn't get a figure as it involved various other 4wd scenarios to).

About the closest thing I could compare it to is the Holland track over here in WA. The Holland is around 300km of medium to hard sand, some light mud and gravel. Running 22Psi in hi4 I returned a figure of 26L/100.

Any advice on 48 or even 45 fuel usage would be great.

Thanks in advance lads,

BJ

·
Registered
nissan
60 Posts
Hi BJ,
I did the CSR from Kunawarritji Community to Georgia Bore / Talawana Track in late May / early June this year in our stock standard (except some minor suspension mods) 2009 TB4.8 auto, loaded with gear and towing a camp trailer. There are a number of dunes in that section and my consumption was 30.6ltr/100km.

On the highway returning back home to Victoria, I averaged 17.5ltr/100kms on the same trip.

I am looking at doing the Simpson in the next year or two as well, although I will not tow the trailer. My intention is to plan at 35ltr/100kms considering I will not be towing.

210 litres for 310 kms is a bit over 67ltr/100kms . . . sounds excessive to me . . . but, then I wasn't there either . . .

As you would be aware being an owner of a 4.8, fuel consumption is directly related to how they are driven. My experience is that they do not need to be driven as hard as some may think to cross this wonderful land of ours.

Good luck with the trip planning and I for one will watch this thread with interest.

Thanks for posting :)
Regards :)

·
Registered
nissan
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeh cheers mate. While my calcs say 48L, I am really leaning towards budgeting for 40L max. Making a big assumption here but from a lot of the pics I have seen of the desert, yes there are soft dunes but it would appear as tho a good chunk of the track is almost hard packed or has a light to heavy sand cover. If thats the case, time not being an issue therefore speed could be reduced, this could be overcome with less right foot and lower tyre pressures

·
Registered
nissan
2,406 Posts
Hey mate, I've driven across the French line with a 4.8 in convoy and I remember it used about 45L/100. That was in 2004 going west-east French line from Dalhousie to Birdsville, no trailers, two adults per truck and no roof rack.

Edit: but you are right...between the dunes you can cook along but the dunes are frequent and soft. So much of the Simpson comes down to the recent winds and rainfall. That trip with the 4.8 was a very dry year and we were moving pretty quick each day.

·
Registered
nissan
311 Posts
I have a TB45 auto and have done 3 crossings with it , I use 30/100 for planning and it averages out around that
I am running 285s and normally have a rack fitted for an extra tyre - although once in the desert average speed is no more then 30kph so a rack isn't really an impact.
My trips have been a mix of East and west and different routes.
If you are concerned I recommend departing via Mt Dare and then go via the Rig rd and then pick up the QAA - rig rd is a bit easier the the French Line - just as much fun - but should be easier on the consumption.
If you go east west - go out and play on Big Red the day before you are planning to do the crossing. That way you can set off the next day and not waste 10-20 litres playing around.
If you go west to East and look like running short you can always set up camp for the night and send your mates that drive those smelly noisy chip fat diesel things into Birdsville to grab you a jerry full

For comparison I average around 17-18 on highway at 110 and about 19 -20 on dirt/gravel roads

·
Registered
nissan
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shut, its really all over the show economy wise, most reports show 4.5 cruisers, 4.5 patrols and TB42 patrols all use low to mid thirty's, but for some reason the 4.8's drink a ****load more.

·
Registered
nissan
557 Posts
Sand is sand! Unpredictable ***** at the best.
The 4.8 can really chew through it when duning. It can also be surprisingly efficient.
Some rules help.
1. Deflate tires - at maximum you want to be running 15 PS I or lower for flotation.
2. Power helps - but only sometimes. if you're already stuck then it's just more digging power.
3. Momentum is important to maintain. Lose momentum and you need flotation & power to regain it.
As you maybe able to see from these 3 basic rules, Flotation is king.
Now we've covered the science, its down to the driver, You have an auto :- the auto is programmed to provide best efficiency on the road. Do NOT drive on sand in "D". Use the Tiptronic.
l didn't buy a manual 4.8 just cos I like changing gear. Sand needs constant attention.

Reactions: awyd

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
177 Posts
I recall 4wd TV saying they used 180 litres or there abouts in their 4.8, they did the French line, but also extra running back and forth to get the right shots, check their web site, watch the Simpson vids

Hope it helps

The trip is one of the best, if I was to do it again the only thing different would be to go slower, spend more nights in the dessert

Have fun

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,149 Posts
Our club just finished the Simpson crossing last week, we had a 4.8 2000 auto with us.
He filled up at Birdsville and we did the french line to Delhousie springs. he has a standard 4.8 with OE tanks. He used two 20 lt feul cans also but as Mt Dare was closed we set off for Oodnadatta with 15lts spare. Two adults and roof rack.

Hope this helps.

Cheers DD.

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GU IV
18,822 Posts
BJ if you go west to east and take the Rig Road you'll find the track is heaps firmer than the French line, you won't use as much fuel as you'd imagine.

Given you have 250 litres of fuel, even if you did 50 l/100 you'd do 500 kms which is to Birdsville and halfway back... But your economy won't be that bad coz you'll drive like an adult won't you???

Less stressing more doing. Go.

·
Premium Member
nissan
151 Posts
2 years ago crossed from Birdsville - TB45E auto, 285/75/16 muddies, 3 inch lift, fully loaded (3.4tonne) used 29 litres/100km in desert.
You will be fine with your fuel load and a couple of jerries - it is also easier from west to east.

·
Registered
nissan
339 Posts
OK so someone I know with a 4.8 auto that has over 400K on the clock that has done the simmo crossing many a time reported that on his last east to west crossing he used 147 liters of fuel between Birdsville and Mt Dare on the French line. He has a rooftop tent , they were two adults , fridge, rear drawers , 3 inch lift with 33 AT tyres. They did the crossing in three days flat , met up with a group at Uluru and did the return trip west to east using 174 liters of fuel because he had to drag a 3L patrol over the dunes many a time on the return trip.

I then took my 4.8 manual running 33 muddies , 3 inch lift , three passengers , roof rack fully loaded , drawers fully loaded and did the East to West crossing using 22.5L per 100KM between Birdsville and Finke. We took 5 days to complete this and yes the sand was damp from rain earlier in the week / month. Most driving was high range but I let my daughter drive the last day in the dunes using low range only.

Looks like things really depends on the sand ( dry or wet ) and your load , and how you drive .......

·
Sydoforumsuperfan :)
nissan gu patrol
8,929 Posts
2 years ago crossed from Birdsville - TB45E auto, 285/75/16 muddies, 3 inch lift, fully loaded (3.4tonne) used 29 litres/100km in desert.
You will be fine with your fuel load and a couple of jerries - it is also easier from west to east.
We did it East to West. It's a piece of p*ss

·
Registered
nissan
60 Posts
Hi BJ,
If you are still researching this, I was speaking to someone yesterday who has just completed a trip of the Simpson from west to east. In their group was a Manual 4.8 which used 123 litres of petrol from Oodnadatta to Birdsville, which I understand is somewhere around 660km. Apparently the sand on the dunes was dry and soft.
Hope this helps.
Regards :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.