Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

Looking at doing the Simpson Desert in July next year. I have spent countless hours researching TB48 fuel usage with no real good info. I have had a chat to Simon Christie from 4wd TV and he said he used 210L for 310km's in his TB48 auto. Sounds extremely high. Basically if you have done it in a petrol patrol 45 or 48 can you answer the following
questions.

-How much did your TB48 (preferably auto) use during your simpson crossing?
-What direction?
-How many km's did you cover? (need this to figure out L/100km figures)
-What tracks did you take to get that usage?

NOT TO BE RUDE BUT I DON'T WANT TO KNOW WHAT YOUR CRD or diesel USED!!! Can only seem to find figures for diesel vehicles.

BTW the car is a 2010 TB48 auto, can carry 215L onboard and another 40L in jerry cans on the rear bar. Car is running 35's with 4.3 ratios. Got a heap of other mods but the only other fuel consumption killer is the roofrack which will have 2 swags on it. (can't see it having a big effect on fuel figures during the crossing due to low speed).

I have come across generic fuel guides that I have recalculated to suit my car and want to see if my calcs compare with peoples actual experience. Pretty much all the guides say a petrol 6 uses 16L/100 on the highway, mine uses 20-22L/100 (but worked out on 22). The same guide says the petrol 6 will use 34.5L/100 on a desert crossing. Now my fuel usage is 37.5% higher then the highway figure in the chart, if I apply this to the desert figure I am at 48L/100km. I have never done any long sand runs that have allowed me to come up with a real figure. (the longest was 100km of beach sand - but couldn't get a figure as it involved various other 4wd scenarios to).

About the closest thing I could compare it to is the Holland track over here in WA. The Holland is around 300km of medium to hard sand, some light mud and gravel. Running 22Psi in hi4 I returned a figure of 26L/100.

Any advice on 48 or even 45 fuel usage would be great.

Thanks in advance lads,

BJ

·
Registered
nissan
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeh cheers mate. While my calcs say 48L, I am really leaning towards budgeting for 40L max. Making a big assumption here but from a lot of the pics I have seen of the desert, yes there are soft dunes but it would appear as tho a good chunk of the track is almost hard packed or has a light to heavy sand cover. If thats the case, time not being an issue therefore speed could be reduced, this could be overcome with less right foot and lower tyre pressures

·
Registered
nissan
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shut, its really all over the show economy wise, most reports show 4.5 cruisers, 4.5 patrols and TB42 patrols all use low to mid thirty's, but for some reason the 4.8's drink a ****load more.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts