Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2012, Nissan Patrol Y61 SWB, TB48DE
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

Recently purchased a pre-owned 2012 SWB Y61 with the 4.8l petrol. Took it out to the desert just to get a feel and play around, noticed that when I got into sticky situations (getting stuck) the engine wouldnt rev above 2000rpms and the wheels won't spin at all, even though I would be pushing the pedal all the way, this was with the transfer case in 4H. There were no lights on the dash to hint at what it might be.
To my knowledge, Gulf-spec patrols did not come with traction control until 2017, so I'm not sure what it might be.

I am running big desert tyres (big in my opinion at least) more commonly known as balloon tyres (9.00-16), could these be the reason?

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Did you try it in low range? There must be an awful lot of pressure on the torque converter trying to turn big tyres bogged down in soft sand in high range. If you had a manual gearbox you’d probably burn out the clutch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you try it in low range? There must be an awful lot of pressure on the torque converter trying to turn big tyres bogged down in soft sand in high range. If you had a manual gearbox you’d probably burn out the clutch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hi Andrew,

Yup, did try 4L as well, didnt budge, had to be pulled out by another car. But yes, it did feel like perhaps the car was struggling due to the tyres but I'm just not sure. Felt like it could've been some sort of traction control.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
7 Posts
Hey guys

Recently purchased a pre-owned 2012 SWB Y61 with the 4.8l petrol. Took it out to the desert just to get a feel and play around, noticed that when I got into sticky situations (getting stuck) the engine wouldnt rev above 2000rpms and the wheels won't spin at all, even though I would be pushing the pedal all the way, this was with the transfer case in 4H. There were no lights on the dash to hint at what it might be.
To my knowledge, Gulf-spec patrols did not come with traction control until 2017, so I'm not sure what it might be.

I am running big desert tyres (big in my opinion at least) more commonly known as balloon tyres (9.00-16), could these be the reason? View attachment 533488
Hey guys

I am running big desert tyres (big in my opinion at least) more commonly known as balloon tyres (9.00-16), could these be the reason? View attachment 533488
Hi Andrew,

Yup, did try 4L as well, didnt budge, had to be pulled out by another car. But yes, it did feel like perhaps the car was struggling due to the tyres but I'm just not sure. Felt like it could've been some sort of traction control.
Ok, I'll try to explain that to you, the problem is I have to translate it from German into English for you. The TB48 has the original 275/70 R16, with the 17 "rims it is ultimately the same overall gear ratio The original tire diameter is approximately 791mm (79.1cm). You are now driving the 9.00R16, these have a diameter of approx. 927mm (92.7cm). Your current tires are 136mm (13.6cm) larger in diameter. That gives 2 problems. 1: When you drive on the road, your transmission can no longer engage the converter lock-up clutch, which means that the transmission is overheating and your oil is black. and ultimately fails. 2: If you are standing in the deep sand with these tires that are too big then it's like having the handbrake on, or better like accelerating and stepping on the brake. Because your tires are too big, the overall gear ratio becomes too long, and at around 2000 rpm you reach that your gearbox is still but there is so much pressure in the converter that the gearbox brakes your engine. Balance of forces engine gearbox. In mechanics this is called the STALL TEST. Run the engine at idle for at least one minute. Stall revolution: 1,900 - 2,200 rpm. Do not hold down the accelerator pedal for more than 5 seconds during this test. With these too big tires you destroy your transmission. 265 / 75R16 is the optimum 285 / 75R16 the maximum to be mechanically safe. Greetings Thomas

·
Registered
GU8 CRD
1,570 Posts
The stall test indicates if your engine is developing full power also. The OP's quoted 2000 rpm max is within spec.

If you're bogging down with balloon tyres you need to stop driving in quicksand. Or perhaps just air down the tyres more.

Sent from my SM-T575 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, I'll try to explain that to you, the problem is I have to translate it from German into English for you. The TB48 has the original 275/70 R16, with the 17 "rims it is ultimately the same overall gear ratio The original tire diameter is approximately 791mm (79.1cm). You are now driving the 9.00R16, these have a diameter of approx. 927mm (92.7cm). Your current tires are 136mm (13.6cm) larger in diameter. That gives 2 problems. 1: When you drive on the road, your transmission can no longer engage the converter lock-up clutch, which means that the transmission is overheating and your oil is black. and ultimately fails. 2: If you are standing in the deep sand with these tires that are too big then it's like having the handbrake on, or better like accelerating and stepping on the brake. Because your tires are too big, the overall gear ratio becomes too long, and at around 2000 rpm you reach that your gearbox is still but there is so much pressure in the converter that the gearbox brakes your engine. Balance of forces engine gearbox. In mechanics this is called the STALL TEST. Run the engine at idle for at least one minute. Stall revolution: 1,900 - 2,200 rpm. Do not hold down the accelerator pedal for more than 5 seconds during this test. With these too big tires you destroy your transmission. 265 / 75R16 is the optimum 285 / 75R16 the maximum to be mechanically safe. Greetings Thomas
Thomas
Thanks alot for taking the time to explain everything in such detail.
Now I’m worried if I have any damage to my transmission. I need to change my tyres as soon as possible.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The stall test indicates if your engine is developing full power also. The OP's quoted 2000 rpm max is within spec.

If you're bogging down with balloon tyres you need to stop driving in quicksand. Or perhaps just air down the tyres more.

I was quite aired out, around 12 PSI yet no movement, these tyres seem to be a big load on the car

·
Registered
1997 GQ TB48, 2005 GU TB48
18 Posts
I was quite aired out, around 12 PSI yet no movement, these tyres seem to be a big load on the car
Hi Daiyaan,

Is it a manual transmission? If so, I would say keep the 900 as it gives you much more clearance in the sand and is very soft which makes it glide on the sand. Moreover, the TB48 gear and diff is at a very high ratio, which means you wouldn’t notice any increased load after about 20km. It will actually drop your RPM significantly decreasing load at cruising speeds. If it’s an automatic, dump these tires as soon as possible as it is not as solid and has significantly relaxed gearing, which creates an immense amount of load.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Daiyaan,

Is it a manual transmission? If so, I would say keep the 900 as it gives you much more clearance in the sand and is very soft which makes it glide on the sand. Moreover, the TB48 gear and diff is at a very high ratio, which means you wouldn’t notice any increased load after about 20km. It will actually drop your RPM significantly decreasing load at cruising speeds. If it’s an automatic, dump these tires as soon as possible as it is not as solid and has significantly relaxed gearing, which creates an immense amount of load.
Hi Naif,

Yup, its an auto, which seems why I'm having trouble. Know anyone who would be interested in taking those tyres from me? They're 2021s.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Naif,

Yup, its an auto, which seems why I'm having trouble. Know anyone who would be interested in taking those tyres from me? They're 2021s.
Unfortunately not, but you shouldn’t have much trouble selling them or exchanging them for used factory size tyres.

·
Registered
2012 Y61 LWB 4.8L Auto Patrol.
20 Posts
Hmm, still wondering why its not spinning the wheels? would the brake switch trick help here? i get it that the car is bogged down, but should still be able to turn the wheels.. even with aired down balloon tires.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
7 Posts
Hmm, still wondering why its not spinning the wheels? would the brake switch trick help here? i get it that the car is bogged down, but should still be able to turn the wheels.. even with aired down balloon tires.
transmission can no longer engage the converter lock-up clutch, which means that the transmission is overheating and your oil is black. and ultimately fails. 2: If you are standing in the deep sand with these tires that are too big then it's like having the handbrake on, or better like accelerating and stepping on the brake. Because your tires are too big, the overall gear ratio becomes too long, and at around 2000 rpm you reach that your gearbox is still but there is so much pressure in the converter that the gearbox brakes your engine. Balance of forces engine gearbox. In mechanics this is called the STALL TEST. Run the engine at idle for at least one minute. Stall revolution: 1,900 - 2,200 rpm. Do not hold down the accelerator pedal for more than 5 seconds during this test. With these too big tires you destroy your transmission. 265 / 75R16 is the optimum 285 / 75R16 the maximum to be mechanically safe. Greetings Thomas
Thomas
Thanks alot for taking the time to explain everything in such detail.
Now I’m worried if I have any damage to my transmission. I need to change my tyres as soon as possible.

Save Share
Reply Quote

[IMG alt="Daiyaan"]https://www.patrol4x4.com/d1/avatars/m/286/286443.jpg?1626459652[/IMG]
Daiyaan
Registered

Joined 5 d ago
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · 1 d ago

ReefMagnet said:

Save Share
Reply Quote

[IMG alt="Naif"]https://www.patrol4x4.com/d1/avatars/m/286/286037.jpg?1623636901[/IMG]
Naif
Registered

Joined 1 mo ago
15 Posts
#8 · 22 h ago

Daiyaan said:
Hi Daiyaan,

Save Share
Reply Quote

[IMG alt="Daiyaan"]https://www.patrol4x4.com/d1/avatars/m/286/286443.jpg?1626459652[/IMG]
Daiyaan
Registered

Joined 5 d ago
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · 21 h ago

Naif said:
Hi Daiyaan,

Hi Naif,

Save Share
Reply Quote

[IMG alt="Naif"]https://www.patrol4x4.com/d1/avatars/m/286/286037.jpg?1623636901[/IMG]
Naif
Registered

Joined 1 mo ago
15 Posts
#10 · 18 h ago

Daiyaan said:
Hi Naif,

Unfortunately not, but you shouldn’t have much trouble selling them or exchanging them for used factory size tyres.

Save Share
Reply Quote

Vanne
Registered

Joined 14 d ago
10 Posts

#11 · 2 h ago

Save Share
Reply Quote
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Hi Daiyaan,
first off, you don't have to worry, the re5r05a gearbox is relatively bulletproof. Check the color of your gear oil, it needs to be cherry red. Definitely not black or dirty gray. Only if your oil smells like garlic or something like that should you worry. Just change the tire size to the original size, borrow it from a friend, and drive into the same hole another time. If it then works and the engine revs up, then it was really because of the big tires, if not the problem is elsewhere. For transmission oil flushing, only Nissan oil specification J² / S or only J or S. Greetings Thomas

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The brake switch trick is for traction control as far as I know, but traction control only came on 2017+ models in the Gulf, so I’m not sure.

·
Registered
nissan
6 Posts
You'll also find that the TB48s had the highest ratio differentials in the wagons - 3.5s. The other option to getting different tyres would be to swap out your diffs for something a little friendlier to your gear ratios - try 4.3s (available with the diesel utes) or, if you can get a hold of them, the 4.6s that were available with the RD28 diesels.

·
Registered
Nissan LWB Y61 2016 Dynotune 2” Radflo 4+
84 Posts
Thomas, when off road with deflated tires the diameter of the tires would reduce to default factory dimensions no? Hence no problems with the transmission are to be expected?

·
Registered
84 Posts
God that's a tough looking car, would bloody love a 4.8 shorty gu would be an absolute weapon!!! Have never seen a shorty gu in real life but that looks tough as mate
You’ve never seen the SWB Super Safari I take it?

or the Falcon, Gazelle, Gazelle X andGazelle Storm - all available from you local Dubai Nissan dealer 😉

·
Registered
nissan patrol
7 Posts
Thomas, when off road with deflated tires the diameter of the tires would reduce to default factory dimensions no? Hence no problems with the transmission are to be expected?
Hello,
Have you ever tried pushing a wheelbarrow with flat tires? That makes the situation worse. Greetings Thomas

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hello,
Have you ever tried pushing a wheelbarrow with flat tires? That makes the situation worse. Greetings Thomas
Fair enough, makes sense. We drive here - the UAE - with very low tire pressures though. Grüße

1 - 19 of 19 Posts