Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey I am in Saudi running 285/70/17 tyres. The tyres do play a part, but my friends on stock tyres have the same issue. Basically, the only way around it is to modify the headers, exhaust, intake and get an ECU tune to wake up the TB48 beast.

I have done none of that. In the interim, I go dune bashing in 4L, using manual select to flip between 2, 3 and 4 depending on the situation.

Once you feel like it's getting bogged on flat sand immediately get off the throttle so you don't dig yourself in, then put it in 4L1 and ever so slightly roll those wheels (similar to crawl control on the toyota's). If that doesn't get you out, your pressures are too high and air down more.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Sounds like your car is stuffed, you should not have to put up with all that aggravation and stress, you should just ship it to me in Australia and let me put up with the stress instead....... ;)

·
Registered
2012, Nissan Patrol Y61 SWB, TB48DE
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Hey I am in Saudi running 285/70/17 tyres. The tyres do play a part, but my friends on stock tyres have the same issue. Basically, the only way around it is to modify the headers, exhaust, intake and get an ECU tune to wake up the TB48 beast.

I have done none of that. In the interim, I go dune bashing in 4L, using manual select to flip between 2, 3 and 4 depending on the situation.

Once you feel like it's getting bogged on flat sand immediately get off the throttle so you don't dig yourself in, then put it in 4L1 and ever so slightly roll those wheels (similar to crawl control on the toyota's). If that doesn't get you out, your pressures are too high and air down more.
Hey Ben

Since then I’ve already done all the mods you mentioned and still no improvement, when stuck the wheels just don’t spin, some people are telling me I might have problems in the torque converter or the gearbox, not sure.
Sometimes when really badly stuck the wheels don’t even spin in 4L.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey Ben

Since then I’ve already done all the mods you mentioned and still no improvement, when stuck the wheels just don’t spin, some people are telling me I might have problems in the torque converter or the gearbox, not sure.
Sometimes when really badly stuck the wheels don’t even spin in 4L.
I'm assuming your mods are done by people who know what they are doing... If so that's quite strange, the modded TB48s fly around quite easy. Haven't met anyone with a modded patrol needing to be rescued here...

When was the last time you had the trans and diff oils looked at? Might be worth getting someone to drop the oils and have a look at the plugs to check for damage.

Also check if there's any irregularities going on with your axles (axle seal / CV damage etc etc.) Maybe also do a scan on the engine to just check for codes but damage to the axles and all might not show up on the computer. Find a good mechanic.

I've heard of people installing transmission oil coolers here, but not sure if you really need it....and how much benefit it has. Maybe check the radiator fluid level while you're at it. Gunning the engine while stuck is a sure way to overheat.

If it's all fine... IMO - It's really down to how you drive the car. It's not as easy to fling around in 4H like a toyota and you really gotta work it... the idea is to avoid getting so bogged that your chassis are resting on the sand and wheels stuck. The trick is to recognize those situations in which you are digging down and stop smashing the throttle, it'll only make things worse. My wheels have stopped turning when really bogged too. Patrols are heavy cars and don't actually do that well in sand tbh. Just the other day, a friend driving an FJ got so bogged his wheels stopped turning as well, so it's not a unique problem.

I was in the same situation as you before, but through a lengthy process of trial and error figured out a driving style that works for me. Good luck and lemme know if things work out for you!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I'm assuming your mods are done by people who know what they are doing... If so that's quite strange, the modded TB48s fly around quite easy. Haven't met anyone with a modded patrol needing to be rescued here...

When was the last time you had the trans and diff oils looked at? Might be worth getting someone to drop the oils and have a look at the plugs to check for damage.

Also check if there's any irregularities going on with your axles (axle seal / CV damage etc etc.) Maybe also do a scan on the engine to just check for codes but damage to the axles and all might not show up on the computer. Find a good mechanic.

I've heard of people installing transmission oil coolers here, but not sure if you really need it....and how much benefit it has. Maybe check the radiator fluid level while you're at it. Gunning the engine while stuck is a sure way to overheat.

If it's all fine... IMO - It's really down to how you drive the car. It's not as easy to fling around in 4H like a toyota and you really gotta work it... the idea is to avoid getting so bogged that your chassis are resting on the sand and wheels stuck. The trick is to recognize those situations in which you are digging down and stop smashing the throttle, it'll only make things worse. My wheels have stopped turning when really bogged too. Patrols are heavy cars and don't actually do that well in sand tbh. Just the other day, a friend driving an FJ got so bogged his wheels stopped turning as well, so it's not a unique problem.

I was in the same situation as you before, but through a lengthy process of trial and error figured out a driving style that works for me. Good luck and lemme know if things work out for you!
I’ve done all the maintenance, plugs, filters and oils, to no effect. Multiple computer scans have also been done, showing no errors. However I would disagree that this is normal. In the process of eliminating this issue, many Patrol owners and garages have test driven my car, and they agree that my car doesn’t perform as it should but no one has been able to pinpoint the problem and its solution

·
Registered
12 Posts
I’ve done all the maintenance, plugs, filters and oils, to no effect. Multiple computer scans have also been done, showing no errors. However I would disagree that this is normal. In the process of eliminating this issue, many Patrol owners and garages have test driven my car, and they agree that my car doesn’t perform as it should but no one has been able to pinpoint the problem and its solution
ah well mate...if all is fine, but you're still absolutely sure there's a problem... I reckon you gotta pull apart the drive line, open up the transmission to have it looked at, driveshaft, diffs and all. Massive job. Sorry can't be of more help. Good luck.

·
Registered
2015 Y61 LWB 4.8L Auto Patrol
23 Posts
Hello everyone
Wanted to give an update about my situation.

Done major servicing, all oils, filters, spark plugs, injectors cleaned, air flow sensor cleaned and throttle cleaned. Tyres also have been changed to 275/70R16. However the issue still remains.
Forgot to mention earlier that on-road, when doing a hard acceleration in first gear, the rpms rise to 2000, pause for 2-3 seconds and then continues to rise (in both auto and manual mode).
Visited plenty garages now, some saying its a tune issue as the car might’ve been tuned before and now the tunes been erased. Some saying that my exhaust has leaks and blockages which is causing the issue but note that my cars stick exhaust didn’t come with catalytic converters (to be fair, although my car has a stock exhaust, it does sound a bit loud). One guy said it might be a weak fuel pump.

Anyone has clues?
Give dexol in abu dhabi a call, ask for joseph. He can take a look at your transmission and torque converter to narrow down the problem for you. The guy is a genius when it comes to auto transmissions.

I would also check your coils, they sometimes struggle to perform under load.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Give dexol in abu dhabi a call, ask for joseph. He can take a look at your transmission and torque converter to narrow down the problem for you. The guy is a genius when it comes to auto transmissions.

I would also check your coils, they sometimes struggle to perform under load.
I did visit dexol in Sharjah and they suggested a rebuild, however I was told to contact Joseph by someone else as well so I shall do that, thanks!

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
What's it like in 4L? High range is no good on really soft sand as i recently found out in my TB48

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
What's it like in 4L? High range is no good on really soft sand as i recently found out in my TB48
On some occasions even 4L is of no help, but that’s only some occasions. Not sure

·
Registered
12 Posts
I do most of my sand driving in 4L, works just fine for me. My engine is bone stock / auto transmission. I use the manual gear select to shift around 4L 2,3 and 4 as the situation requires, and try to avoid the extreme ends (1,5) of the gears.

Gets up to speed just fine, and I try not to exceed 40/50 km/h. Definitely allows the engine to rev up and send more torque to the wheels. Haven't had any issues so far.

·
obi 1 patientnewby !
nissan
517 Posts
Some vehicles reduce engine power in the lower gears, does the Patrol auto do this?

·
Registered
nissan
129 Posts
It's a combination of the RE5's terrible 1st gear ratio for off-roading, the terrible 3.5 stock diff ratio and a bunch of stock torque limits:

• 1st gear in-gear
  • 1st gear stall
  • reverse stall

Reverse stall is the most severe, followed by 1st stall and finally 1st in-gear.

I can delete them all as part of a tune. I can also sell a tuner definition pack to any tuner to allow them to do this, among several other exclusive features.

·
Registered
2012 Y61 LWB 4.8L Auto Patrol.
124 Posts
Now we're talking.. finally... :)
Thanks for posting Brad.

·
Registered
Nissan
7,182 Posts
It's a combination of the RE5's terrible 1st gear ratio for off-roading, the terrible 3.5 stock diff ratio and a bunch of stock torque limits:

• 1st gear in-gear
  • 1st gear stall
  • reverse stall

Reverse stall is the most severe, followed by 1st stall and finally 1st in-gear.

I can delete them all as part of a tune. I can also sell a tuner definition pack to any tuner to allow them to do this, among several other exclusive features.

Did you do that with my tune Brad?

·
Registered
2019 VTC TB48DE
3 Posts
Hi,

I'm not sure if your car model (2012) comes with traction control, if yes then you need to install a kill switch as the stock button in the car does not fully disengage it.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts