Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.... currently stuck in outback Qld after a 13hour drive. No issues on the drive, but starting the car the next morning and the engine light is on and car wont rev or drive over 20kph. Got it checked out at a local mechanic and error codes show faulty Throttle Position Sensors. Apparantly being an auto Nissan dont sell the TPS's as replacements and the only option is a new throttle body which there are none in Australia and it will be min 8 days from Japan and $1400 for a new one. (if it was a manual, they do sell the TPS's as replacement parts - go figure. Must be a major difference)

Anyone know if you can replace the TPS's or alternatively, know of any aftermarket places for a new throttle body, could be worthwhile doing an upgrade if it needs replacing.

·
Registered
60 Posts
That's not good news. Were you able to turn the engine off for a while and then restart it without the engine light coming on, hence being able to drive at normal speeds? The reason I ask is that this happened to me on Sunday with the engine light coming on but I was able to turn off and on without the light coming on and drive home. Took it into Nissan to find out the code and it came up with P0121, was this the same code you got?

I posted some of the info they gave me here http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48082&highlight=tb48+codes There seems to be a couple of possiblities for this occurring.

Sorry I cannot be of any help regarding the TPS's and it's typical of Nissan not to have part(s) in this country for certain things (like a simple heater hose that has to come from Japan :rolleyes: ).

Hope you get it sorted and that some knowledgable person on here can help you out.

Cheers,
Darren

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I turned the engine off a few times and the engine light stayed on. The mechanic even cleared the codes with his computer and the light came back on after that. not sure what the exact code was. The mechanic showed me his diagnosis unit and that there were no readings coming from the TPS's. He's going to pull the throttle body off and see if he can clean up around the sensors etc in the hope it's a bad connection or something.

·
Registered
473 Posts
How many k's has the vehicle done, and when were the O2 sensors last replaced (if at all)??

According to Bosch, the 3 and 4 wire sensors have a service life of approx 100,000 km...

The reason I mention this, is because a while back, I was chasing my tail w/- the same symptoms as you describe.. engine light on, engine would start and idle OK, but would not rev over 1000rpm (approx)..
I went through the TPS re-setting procedure, and certain other mumbo-jumbo as detailed in the ESM, w/- no joy :headwall:

In the meantime I bought a 'generic scan tool' (ebay) which displayed no codes, but when I pressed "clear codes", it said "OK", and everything would be sweet until I stopped the engine, then I'd have to go through the "clear codes" procedure every time I started the vehicle (drove it around like this for a few weeks ;) )...

While looking for info online, I learned a bit about oxygen sensors, and the fact that they can mess with the error codes....

In a nutshell, I replaced the O2 sensors, and the problem went away, and (touch wood) has not returned :D
I used generic Bosch sensors at less than 1/3 the price of the 'Genuine Nissan' ones (which are Bosch)...

If the vehicle has more than 100,000 km on it, and these sensors have not been changed, I'd say change 'em regardless, and see how ya go from there...

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
nissan
1,064 Posts
Hmm this is strange that a heap of people are having the same problem at the same time!

As I said in another thread I did a 4000km trip a few weeks ago and when I went to start the engine one morning after camping out at Bullara station I had my light come on and the car went into limp home mode.

I turned off the engine and restarted and it went away. I drove about 60kms into Shark Bay and turned it off, started it and it was fine. Then drove about 10kms out of town and turned it off to let my tyres down. It came back on again on restart. I turned it on and off 3 times before it would go out this time. Now I started to worry. Anyway, we drove down to the beach and I wiggled all my cables under the bonnet, disconnected the MAF sensor and replugged (didn't know the fault codes at this point) and then decided that I wasn't going to leave my car on the beach with the tide coming in so started it and drove it up behind the dunes and left it there. ( I had no light at this point). In fact after this it did not come back on at all! Ever again. I have since been driving it for a few weeks as my daily and done a trip down the south coast and thankfully it has not returned.

When I got home after the big trip I got the codes out of the ECU and I was getting TPS fault and throttle open fault (the car thought the throttle was stuck open, obviously related to the TPS fault).

I serviced the car when I got home (oil, brakes, grease etc) and while I was at it I pulled the intake off and sprayed some throttle body cleaner through the throttle body while reving the engine. I did notice a waxy build up from the LPG (mixer setup) and am wondering if that was causing my issues.

Anyway else having this problem on petrol only or with injected lpg? Just wondering if that's the cause.

Either way, I'm happy its running fine but it concerns me that it was not an isolated incident as you guys are having the same problems!

Mine's an 02 ST with 175,000km on it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
140,000k's and petrol only, no LPG... I've never replaced the O2 sensors and have the car since about 65,000k's... have had some good luck this morning though, mechanic pulled the throttle body off and cleaned it and manually opened and closed the butterflys a few dozen times and it's running ok now.. for now at least, so will see how it goes and fingers crossed I make it back to Brissie on wednesday. When i get home i'll garage it and pull off the throttle body and take it to an auto elec to check out the TPS...

·
Registered
12 Posts
How many k's has the vehicle done, and when were the O2 sensors last replaced (if at all)??

According to Bosch, the 3 and 4 wire sensors have a service life of approx 100,000 km...

The reason I mention this, is because a while back, I was chasing my tail w/- the same symptoms as you describe.. engine light on, engine would start and idle OK, but would not rev over 1000rpm (approx)..
I went through the TPS re-setting procedure, and certain other mumbo-jumbo as detailed in the ESM, w/- no joy :headwall:

In the meantime I bought a 'generic scan tool' (ebay) which displayed no codes, but when I pressed "clear codes", it said "OK", and everything would be sweet until I stopped the engine, then I'd have to go through the "clear codes" procedure every time I started the vehicle (drove it around like this for a few weeks ;) )...

While looking for info online, I learned a bit about oxygen sensors, and the fact that they can mess with the error codes....

In a nutshell, I replaced the O2 sensors, and the problem went away, and (touch wood) has not returned :D
I used generic Bosch sensors at less than 1/3 the price of the 'Genuine Nissan' ones (which are Bosch)...

If the vehicle has more than 100,000 km on it, and these sensors have not been changed, I'd say change 'em regardless, and see how ya go from there...

:cheers:
Hey where did you get the sensors and what where they called? Apart from bosche

1 - 10 of 10 Posts