Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well its a huge job putting the 4.2 diesel into an RB 30.

I thought I had evrything sorted. had the complete loom for the motor going in, unfortunatly only the front half & from a cab/chasis. Of course nothing matched the wagon rear half of the loom. The bloke doing the work spent the best part of 2 days trying to sort rear half into the front half. Done now & just have to try and get the RB-30 air fittings to the condencer & fire wall attached to the diesel compressor hoses.

I need a clutch so he put in a 4.2 turbo clutch for a GU, reckoned it would suit the turbo motor in mine batter. It works fins and is vacum assisted, but spongy as buggery & nothing happens until the clutch pedal is a bout 50 ml from the floor. Is that just pedal adjustment? I know he could only get it to bleed from the bleed point and not the one near the fuel filter.

This was a low Ks, 209,000 turbo diesel engine ive had for years, runs as sweet. Put a 2" lift with ironman suspension from Zordo's. Top bloke to deal with by the way.

Any tips on the clutch i'd be gratefull

Thanks
John

·
Registered
nissan
11,153 Posts
go to any clutch and brake place and get a replacement hose of a later model gq which just goes straight from hard line to clutch slave. gets rid of the second bleed point and makes it heaps easier to bleed. or mayby they are off an earlier model. mine in an 89 maverick and only had the single line.
otherwise all sounds good. i done basically the same to mine though i swapped 1 4.2 to another and wiring harness was same at the back due to being identical donor vehicle.
its not to bad a swap and only took me 5 days to go from driving into shed with tb42 and out with td42 and they were no where near full days.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,106 Posts
its good to hear you got that thing all going good now mate cant wait for pictures of it

Benos i think earlier model had the single bleed point was under mine today (91) and it only has the one bleed spot on the slave itself

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips, I should start a thread on the odd time consuming things you don't think of. I factored in the replacement of the engine mounts on the chasis, but gave no thought to a simple thing like the diesel fuel lines that had to be run. Even with the car on the hoist, this is a bitch of a job due to the length & bends. Only about 10mm clearence between body and top of tower. Also discovered a little thing like the hazard light conections are different, my loom was a cab chasis. I have the short loom behind the dash to hazard switch, RB 30. 4.2 EFI & td 42 from an 89 maverick wont fit. The wrecker wont believe me and reckons they are all the same. The difference is that on the cab/chas there is nittle dividing wall in the 8 point socket like on the other 3

John

For those interested it was another fellas Rex Hunt Special in beautifull condition. So it now hads a decent power plant, would love to find a complete factory loker set up in good condition. If anyone knows of please let me know.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts