Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I picked up a mitsubishi TD05HR 16G 9.8T turbo hoping to upgrade the factory HT18 on my GU ute. I just realised this is a reversed rotation unit and was wondering if this is a problem or if there is anything special I need to fit it. If not is there any adapters available to fit to standard low mount manifold or would it be best to just make one. Hoping I didn't waste my money on this. Was just bidding on eBay and didn't really expect to win. Any info would be really appreciated

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
3,946 Posts
Doesnt matter which way it spins. It will have to mount much differently from a normal version though.

Ive never tried to fit an evo turbo to a patrol, but I would assume the location of everything would be so far out that you would need to make significant modifications to it all in order to make it work.

Try bolting it up to the manifold first and see how it sits in there.

·
Registered
Nissan
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It looks like it will actually fit really well the only modification would be to adapt the manifold to mount it. Was concerned there had to be something different done to the way the exhaust flows into the turbo or something. The dump pipe that came with it and everything look to be a perfect fit.

·
Registered
Nissan
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After having a much around with it this morning it does look like to much work to fit. The turbo just sits out to far. Oh well back on eBay now. Hopefully get my money back and I'll just stick with the ht18 for a while. Thanks for help anyway.

·
Registered
nissan gq
2,186 Posts
Hi guys. I picked up a mitsubishi TD05HR 16G 9.8T turbo hoping to upgrade the factory HT18 on my GU ute. I just realised this is a reversed rotation unit and was wondering if this is a problem or if there is anything special I need to fit it. If not is there any adapters available to fit to standard low mount manifold or would it be best to just make one. Hoping I didn't waste my money on this. Was just bidding on eBay and didn't really expect to win. Any info would be really appreciated
That sucks :p

·
Registered
nissan gq
2,186 Posts
It looks like it will actually fit really well the only modification would be to adapt the manifold to mount it. Was concerned there had to be something different done to the way the exhaust flows into the turbo or something. The dump pipe that came with it and everything look to be a perfect fit.
You do know the compressor and exhaust housing can be rotated on the bearing cartridge

to suit your application ?.Just make sure the oil drain is at the bottom.The exhaust and

compressor "wheels" are shaped to run in one direction only,reverse rotation is BS.

Cheers,G.

·
Registered
Nissan
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea I know you can rotate them. It's because the exhaust intake is the opposite it pushes the turbo out away from the engine rather than have it snug under the manifold. If it was a top mount I don't think it would be a problem but I was hoping to leave it factory low mount. The only way I could make it fit low would be to face it opposite do that the exhaust points to front of car and intake to back but that's pretty crap.

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
3,946 Posts
You do know the compressor and exhaust housing can be rotated on the bearing cartridge

to suit your application ?.Just make sure the oil drain is at the bottom.The exhaust and

compressor "wheels" are shaped to run in one direction only,reverse rotation is BS.

Cheers,G.
They do actually spin the opposite way to a normal turbo. If you looked down the intake of them one spins clockwise, the other spins anti clockwise.
If you put the wheels side by side you can see they are build completely opposite to each other for this reason.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts