Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dose any1 no y there are two diffrent tappet cover on the td4.2? I have a black top on my 94 dx patrol?

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
silvertops are built a bit more heavy duty, blacktops are built a bit lighter so it is a bit more revy but cant be pushed as hard as the silvertops when turboed

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
2 out of 3 wrong. It's a Ford, collect your prize.
Theres a big thread on it somewhere, and the cover may have been changed because the smaller little end / stronger piston engines were made until late 1995.
You may even have the super tough GU turbo motor which the engine number has an extra T in it.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,540 Posts
The later ones also have the vacuum pump on the timing cover instead of the alternator.

You may even have the super tough GU turbo motor which the engine number has an extra T in it.
You mean the engine coding, not the actual engine 'ID' number???

·
Registered
nissan
11,162 Posts
yeah engine number should have a t right at the end for turbo motors.
and if i remember correctly the main difference is gudgen pin size and pistons. also crank bosses are different but not a biggie.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok I have had a look at the engine number n I can not c a T? So am I going to run Into trouble with it being turboed?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
180 Posts
g'day i got a 89GQ with a TD42 and with ablack rocker cover and im runnign a turbo at 14 - 16psi and no troubles the only time i bent a conrod was when i sucked a bit of water in to number 4 and made it 15-20mm short on the rise, but other then that had no troubles same as the father inlaw and his mates all running the same

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,540 Posts
Im pretty sure the engine code is in the ID number anyway
What I meant was the engine variant coding is TD42 (non turbo) TD42t (turbo) and TD42ti (turbo/ intercooler), but all TD42 engine block numbers are all TD42 followed by 6 numbers e.g TD42******, there is no t or ti in the engine block number to tell you if it's turbo or not.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, well it is running stock boost atm due to not having a boost gauge but I hope to have 1 fitted soon and have my boost tee ready to roll

·
SUI GENERIS UTE
GQ Ute 1990 Silvertop
6,046 Posts
I wouldn't get to carried away with tappet cover colour guys its totally dependent on manufacture date like pre Aug 1993 to Aug 1995 and post to GU model change. This has been detailed on here by me many times and others, but i have noticed we have lost many or some of the old tech threads.
To very briefly point out the differences per Aug 1993 TD engines are very strong and have what we are looking for, in a turbo engine. The block has little injectors or squirters that shoot oil at the underside of the piston which cool it some what and lubrication is a little better on the cylinder walls. Rods pistons are quite heavy and larger than post Aug 1993 TD42. TD42 engines built between Aug1993 and Aug1995 do not have these oil squirters fitted but some have the block tapped for them but are plugged. Pistons are quite a bit lighter mainly a thiner crown hence these engines are not really a good choice for a turbo engine, but are still very successfully turboed with many years of trouble free service but pressures and EGT are kept very low in the 500 deg C area. TD42 engines built after Aug1995 to model change GU have even lighter pistons and different rods among many differences these engines are a bit quiter running and seem to rev more freely but they have no tappings in the block for oil squirters hence same turbo story as pre Aug1995 engine. The GU TD42T engine have many and varied differences to the pre GU engines and the pre Aug1993 they are by far a superior engine for the rigors of high HP turbo applications and they do have these little pesky oil squirters tapped into the block.
Hope this helped a bit but colour of tappet covers is not a guide at all. Many models had black covers pre Aug1993 eg some Maverick models had black covers.

·
Registered
nissan
1,514 Posts
TD42 engines built after Aug1995 to model change GU have even lighter pistons and different rods among many differences these engines are a bit quiter running and seem to rev more freely but they have no tappings in the block for oil squirters hence same turbo story as pre Aug.

i found in my 98 gq coil cab the only difference to the turbo motor was the pistons and crank nut size. they have same rods and have oil squirters. i have never seen a td42 with out oil squirters on pistons.

·
SUI GENERIS UTE
GQ Ute 1990 Silvertop
6,046 Posts
TD42 engines built after Aug1995 to model change GU have even lighter pistons and different rods among many differences these engines are a bit quiter running and seem to rev more freely but they have no tappings in the block for oil squirters hence same turbo story as pre Aug.

i found in my 98 gq coil cab the only difference to the turbo motor was the pistons and crank nut size. they have same rods and have oil squirters. i have never seen a td42 with out oil squirters on pistons.
We are talking about the engine BLOCK "tye1986" for these oil squirters. This item is really what makes the difference for the TD42 and its ability to withstand the rigors of high Hp. And your 98 GQ will not have these items fitted from the factory.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts