Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right guys I know there is a lot of info about this on the site however I have been unable to find a answer for my issue.
On cold start up misfire and blowing a lot of smoke, drive 200m all good and runs great.

Recently bought the vehicle and previous owner said it required glow plugs, which he had, but had not had time to fit them.

Replaced the glow plugs and exactly the same, however they are cheap eBay plugs.

Double glow and it will start no problem although still misfiring and smoky.

Relay can be heard clicking off after approx 10seconds.

So do you think this is glow plug related or injectors needing a refurb or something completely different.

All comments greatly appreciated

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,397 Posts
I had the same problem and it disappeared when i advanced my timing. Not exactly sure why it does it, some of the experts might know.

·
Registered
nissan
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Forgot to say 380k on it

Cheers for the info Gibo, is advancing the timing a DIY job or does it have to be done professionally, timing light etc

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
3,955 Posts
It could be any number of things.

First, check there is actually power getting to the glow plugs.
Then pull the plugs out, dip the tips in oil and physically test them by using jumper cables (earth around the body, power directly to the end).
They should smoke pretty much instantly, just disconnect the power when they do there is no need to make them glowing hot.

Once this is done, have a cooling system pressure test done to ensure its not water entering the cylinder.

If all of those are ok, then advancing the pump is as simple as loosening the 3 nuts that hold it in place and moving the pump outward 1-2mm from the engine. Dont go bonkers on this as it does have side effects when you go to far.

There is also an advance plate you can install which helps these engines no end on cold start up.

·
Registered
nissan
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers for that diesel tuner i will have a look at it next week when i get back from work.

When doing the cooling system pressure test would this have to be done on a stone cold engine to be able to determine if there was any leakage into the cylinder?

I would imagine if there was a crack, leak and misfire for first minute, that when there is some heat in the block the thermal expansion seals the crack again and then this would not show up as an issue on the system pressure test. Is that correct?

It doesn't appear to use any coolant. Would a compression test also show if there was a leak into the cylinder?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
63 Posts
Have a look at the dropping resistor in intake manifold (round socket with 2 heavy wires coming out of it), the wires melt/break, or unit fail, then the after glow fails to work, hence misfire white smoke etc.
From what I hear, very expensive, as owner of 3.0 grenade, I used glow plug timer mod to set afterglow time, and bridged out dropping resistor to give full 12v afterglow on my fathers 4.2t.
As a test to see if this is your problem, un-plug and bridge the wiring harness to the dropping resistor and try a cold start.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Had a similar problem a few years back, only during winter. Slight timing advance fixed it for me too. Could also be leaky injectors or pump though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts