Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
4,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm researching different possibilities for my TB45 to TD42T conversion.
One of the major issues is having to get A/C hoses made to fit if I keep the alternator in its original position.
If I can mount the alternator on the right side, and it certainly looks possible, I'll not only keep my A/C system intact but I can also retain all the TB45E steering pump, lines and coolers.

I'm equipped to make up my own mounts so no issue there.

If you have your alternator mounted on the right, would you be kind enough to post up some clear pics of how it was mounted.

Thanks!

·
Registered
nissan
4,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aren't the TD42Ti Alternators on the right side ?
I don't know, I can't find a pic but do they also have the vacuum pump under the IP to make things easier.
I'm looking for pics, if they exist, of the alternator with vacuum pump attached and mounted on the right side.

·
Anger management pi$$es me off
nissan
7,539 Posts
Ok, what do you need as I think I have all the factory td42t lines sitting in the shed.

·
Registered
nissan
4,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, what do you need as I think I have all the factory td42t lines sitting in the shed.
I won't be using the factory lines on the alternator. I can pull a braided oil feed from the original location on the left and, while I have the sump off, I can do a fitting in the sump on the right for the oil return from the alternator.

I'm mainly looking to see how others made their mounts but it's also possible nobody has done this yet.

·
Registered
nissan
4,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sydo, pics not showing on iPad or PC..

·
Registered
nissan
4,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Something wrong there. That's how my TB45E is at the moment.
The TD42T I have has the alternator on the left where the factory oil feed & return are in the block on the LH side.

·
nissan
7,539 Posts

Above photo is a factory turbo motor, there is enough room to run the early vac pump alternotor and the factory gu AC plumbing, Or am I missing another wheel your trying to re-create?

·
Registered
nissan
4,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Above photo is a factory turbo motor, there is enough room to run the early vac pump alternotor and the factory gu AC plumbing, Or am I missing another wheel your trying to re-create?
TB45E (mine anyway) doesn't have those screw-on fittings. It has the o-ring connectors with the small bolt on the side.
To do it like that would mean changing the rear of the compressor and buying 2 new hoses then getting it regassed. There's a few hundred dollars to spend there.

If I can mount the alternator on the right (which I'm sure I can), all my TB45E A/C and steering lines stay in place. Won't even need to regas.

Sorry just looked closer at the hoses and they are the o-ring type. Be interesting to see the Nssan price for those..

·
Registered
Nissan
260 Posts
By the right side, JFF45 is meaning the drivers side, where the power steering pump is.

I had the same issue when I converted my TB45 to TD42, as I re-used my TB45 compressor.
The power steering pump is above the compressor on the TB45, which is not as deep as the TD42 alternator, therefore the TB45 lines dont bend back before going up and clash with the alternator.

Those lines that Gassed GU is offering look like they would fit the TB45 compressor, wish I knew about them before I shelled out a lot of clams to have custom line made up. The wreckers either didn't have them or wanted $500 for each hose.

·
Registered
nissan
4,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cheers mate, you're confirming the alternator mod is a fair money saver. Just the regas around here is $165.

I started making the mount this afternoon. I'll take a few pics for my build thread.

I'll also take this opportunity to tell you how much I appreciate the 2 threads you did for your conversion. Heaps of good info and ideas. An example to follow..

·
nissan
7,539 Posts
Well if things change let me know and I will help ya out as best I can mate, dont want huge $$ for them hence why I thought it would be the cheapest and easy option

1 - 20 of 30 Posts