Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
6,141 Posts
If your injectors need servicing then 2 stroke oil will not remedy that. Given your pump work done etc, I would suggest if you do not know the injectors servicing history the it is well worth doing them now. Get everything in the system working well, pump, injectors, no leaks, fuel system clean etc. You have done most if it it seems, I would get the injectors done for sure. I have had a set of TD42 injectors serviced that had done less than 100,000km, and they were uneven when tested. Goes to show that they do need regular servicing and do not last forever.

·
Registered
96 TD42 GQ2 wagon
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Good stuff thanks, these may have done 260K or 190K depending on if they were replaced by Nissan under warranty along with the pump for the original owner..

Could yours have been sloppy crack pressure setting when fitted?

I cannot get new off the shelf ones locally without waiting it seems only rebuilt ones which I have been assured will be just as good...hope they were fussy when they set the crack pressures.

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
6,141 Posts
Good stuff thanks, these may have done 260K or 190K depending on if they were replaced by Nissan under warranty along with the pump for the original owner..

Could yours have been sloppy crack pressure setting when fitted?

I cannot get new off the shelf ones locally without waiting it seems only rebuilt ones which I have been assured will be just as good...hope they were fussy when they set the crack pressures.
It is possible that there was a fault. But I think it is more likely an example of why it is recommended that injectors are serviced every 100,000km.

·
Registered
96 TD42 GQ2 wagon
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
Update I failed,

I got the injector pump rebuilt (was leaking anyway).

Fitted brand new Zexel injectors.

Retro refitted the original Nissan fuel filter housing with a new filter.

Accessed the tank to inspect any original filter (none fitted to this model), tank was spotless inside.

Siphoned all fuel out, poured 20l new fuel in and purged most the old fuel in lines/filter and pump out.

Ran it without the filler cap installed.

Last test drive I found a hill and did 40 odd km/h down it in third gear with no throttle and the forward back motion actually popped it out of gear. If I put my foot on the clutch it just rolls without the back and forth/surging.

Air obstruction? The filter is just a thousand km old.

Going buy a new air filter, fit a clear line between filter and pump but outside of this I have no other direction to follow.

Any other ideas?

cheers

·
Registered
96 TD42 GQ2 wagon
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
Does anyone know this green piece at the bottom of the tank pickups purpose?, has a spring inside and the foot sits on the bottom of the tank, the bottom of the tank has a shined up circle of metal due to vibration. I pulled it off and apart , it has a spring (which keeps pressure on the foot to the tank) and a rubber o ring inside but no gauze etc.

I refitted it..perhaps I should not have at least to test.

Suspect my problem is the suction side of the pump simply not supplying enough suck due to age, suspect also it was not reconditioned when I got the pump done either but I cannot just touch up the fuel screw to find out myself without risking some made up problem from the rebuilders "possibly"...PITA.

Gas Cylinder Tool Household hardware Font

·
Registered
96 TD42 GQ2 wagon
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
The pump should be able to do the job if it has been rebuilt.
Yeah should be that way so it's very confusing. I am currently chasing my tail really.

I live a 40-minute trip from a diesel mechanic so driving the old girl to get a mechanic to test drive is a problem. When I have exhausted all options here I will have to do it though.

cheers

·
Registered
96 TD42 GQ2 wagon
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Resolved, it was an out of round rear km2 tyre. When the tyre was pumped up to max cold to carry a full gvm vehicle it gave up over about 400km, this placed pressure on the LSD which still works well upon each revolution acted as brake until the diff forces stabilised. Just swapping to the spare made all the difference.

Upside I how have a pristine fuel system with no leaks or air ingress for approximately $2300 all up from tank to the pistons for the next 20? odd years of the car's life if our psycho modern type politicians let it.

Thanks all for the help above.

·
Registered
nissan
71 Posts
Update:

After waiting for a nice puller to arrive in the mail then procrastinating for a few more days today I got stuck into it

This pump according to service history was replaced by Nissan at 70K km and the red rtv used I guess proves it, also the pump gear nut was only nipped up, all that kept it in place (I think) was the spring washer tang had worn into the nut creating a vertical wall...previous owners go lucky over the100K km travelled after.

Also, all bolts including the injector line nuts were at various levels of tightness, will do a better job than that this time.

Got me thinking does anyone have a recommendation for a good honest and careful pump re-builder in the cairn's region?..I have no idea so any comment welcome...this old girl I hope to keep until my licence get taken away in old age or at least for as long as possible.

cheers
I can help you with this, buy a new pump and you will be rid of the whole problem. I also mounted a new one this week, it starts and runs without preheating. What a difference! A set of new nozzles, then it can hardly be missed.
Oh yeah, get things right of course! one notch off makes a big difference.
It is an original Japanese pump that has been modified for a TD42, custom. Very competitive price and quality.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts