Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all.

after some info if anyone can help, and i know that i will need to talk to engineer.

but i have been offered a 2008 GU for a cheap price. im wondering if i can convert that to a td42?

does anyone know the legalities of that? or know of anyone that has done it i can talk to?

cheers

Jason

·
Registered
nissan
48 Posts
08 only came out with zd30 so you cannot legally fit the TD42. They were discontinued as they could not meet newer emission laws. Any engine conversion would legally have to meet the same emission laws that the car originally complied with when new.

·
Registered
nissan
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have heard of a 09 and a 2011 converted and plated in QLD.

my limited understanding is that as the Y61 series came out with the TD42, then as long as im converting a Y61 then it can be done.

does anyone know of any engineers that i can talk to on a saturday??

cheers

Jason

·
Registered
nissan
2,588 Posts
if u cant get around it a chassis swap would be the next cheapest option to an earlier one

·
Registered
nissan
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
if u cant get around it a chassis swap would be the next cheapest option to an earlier one
do you mean swap it into a 06 model, and then re-cab it with the later shell?

cheers

Jason

·
Registered
nissan
2,588 Posts
yep and it then should be registered as a rebodied 06 model,

·
Registered
nissan
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
if im going to do that, i might aswell leave it as the 06.

·
Registered
nissan
528 Posts
There is somebody around Sunshine Coast it bunya erg approving later models. Seen a 2010 for sale not long ago. Using the principal that y61 is a y61 no matter the year, but I'm pretty sure that's not right. Series models a,so count I think. Maybe ring a few mod platers and see who's doing it?

Brunswick diesels have type approval to October 2010 for non common rail 6.5 chevs by emission testing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
nissan
98 Posts
Just put another 3ltr back in it..
Seriously the td 4.2 are ok for towing caravans.
The later 3ltrs are more powerful, better fuel economy, faster all round, and don't weigh as much, and cheaper rego...
Please explain why you want a dinosaur in a newer car??
If any conversion thinkable with a cheap body I would look at turbo v8 not a dinosaur

·
Glasshouse Bogan #1
nissan patrol gu
9,423 Posts
The later 3ltrs are more powerful, better fuel economy, faster all round, and don't weigh as much, and cheaper rego...
If any conversion thinkable with a cheap body I would look at turbo v8 not a dinosaur
Hahaha no point starting that argument with the above statement. Lets just keep it real and on track :beer:

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
nissan
2,406 Posts

Someone's been drinking ^^^ .. You left out "more reliable" just to round out that little fairytail.

If the cheap 08 still runs flog it off and buy an 06 or earlier.

·
Sydoforumsuperfan :)
nissan gu patrol
8,929 Posts
What is your main reason for the swap ? Gturbo has just completed a ZD30 turbo build and made over 150rwkw and over 600nm

·
Registered
nissan
2,406 Posts
What is your main reason for the swap ? Gturbo has just completed a ZD30 turbo build and made over 150rwkw and over 600nm

Be careful trying to extract that kind of power from the ZD...remember the last one at that power only lasted a week before it went bang.

·
Sydoforumsuperfan :)
nissan gu patrol
8,929 Posts
The car Is was Swaffy's tow car from Diesel Central has been running over 135rwkw for a while and now upgraded more. Greame from Gurbo knows his stuff. It's all about the tune AFR's etc

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,397 Posts
Im struggling to trust zd30's stock let alone at 150kw! Only time will tell, if it lasts i would probably consider buying one.

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
Im struggling to trust zd30's stock let alone at 150kw! Only time will tell, if it lasts i would probably consider buying one.
True that, if someone could do this power up on a brand new crate engine and get 200-250k out of it I would have some trust. The cooling system would want to be WELL maintained!!

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
As for a TD in a late model gu. I would really love if it were possible! Once my body craps it's self it will be at about 550k so time for a freshen up and a new body :)

·
Registered
nissan
2,588 Posts
i dont see why it can be engineered in a new model, IF it meets emissions tests, you might have to fit cats and give it a very lean tune to get it down far enough you would have to talk to an engineer though

1 - 18 of 18 Posts