Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
2,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i took my converted gu into get a blue slip today since ive finished me td42 conversion from zd30, the td is from a gq and the gu is an 01 model now they guy tells me he cant do it because the engine number on the td is td42xxxxx and on a gu it should be td42t he says they called the rta and they reckon it needs to be engineered, for what i ask he says to make sure the motor is fine in that car, talking to him was useless i havnt spoken to the rta but i went to another place and asked if it was ok i fitted an older motor to a newer car he said aslong as the gu had a td42 available it would be fine

the first mechanic was abit clueless when i told him what do people do with say an old holden, they can change between a 186, 202, 253 or a 308 and its fine aslong as the correct pollution gear is fitted

anyone done the conversion in nsw and had no issue he told me if he put my engine number down and i took it to the rta they would pick up on it being wrong i doubt that they care, and he reckons it would come back on him for a doing a dodgy slip, i said id rather pay you 80 bucks for a blue and get knocked back at the rta then go and spend 600 on an engineers cert for nothing

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,397 Posts
Early gu's came out with a td42 na which would have the same number as a silvertop you would think. I have never heard of anyone having trouble.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
18 Posts
not sure about NSW but in Qld it needs to be engineered for the engine mounts, being changed and welded, that's the only thing they looked at on mine when I did my conversion, Transport just checked new engine number (make sure it not stolen) and took copy of engineers report, took 5 minutes without an inspection.

·
Registered
nissan
2,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea i just dont think he knows how to do more complicated things, hopefully this other place pulls through for me i kept the cutting of engine mounts under my hat, technically you cant weld to a chassis and in NSW an engineers report will be $600+ atleast, i know a mechanic in my home town that would pass it no problems at all, but hes 10 hrs away, he just did my father inlaws but he used a gu engine but still there should be no problems

i told him that 100's of people do the conversion and i could understand if it was on a newer model that had egr ect pollution gear but not on the 01,

on another note it revs pretty good with stock tires and 4.3's lol my tacho isnt working properly do you know what revs it would actually be doing at 100 with the stock setup

·
Registered
739 Posts
not sure about NSW but in Qld it needs to be engineered for the engine mounts, being changed and welded, that's the only thing they looked at on mine when I did my conversion, Transport just checked new engine number (make sure it not stolen) and took copy of engineers report, took 5 minutes without an inspection.
The engine mounting points welded to the chassis would 100% require an inspection by some one competent (and recognised by the relevant rta) in just about every state.

the key is not every state is aware that welding to the chassis is required on a zd30 to td42 swap.

As for the engine number its probably just tough luck it may force you to get and engineers report done. It shouldnt need one based on just the number

id also be interested to know how ppl have gone putting td's into post 07 patrols, legalities wise.

If t

·
Registered
160 Posts
on another note it revs pretty good with stock tires and 4.3's lol my tacho isnt working properly do you know what revs it would actually be doing at 100 with the stock setup[/QUOTE]

unless you changed diff ratio it will be the same revs as the 3lt. dont you have to have every thing working properly to start with. you should get an engineers cert. or you wont get insurance.

·
Registered
nissan
2,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
alot of cars didnt come with tachos its not required, i got it regod and insurance was not a problem

·
Registered
nissan
812 Posts
as soon as they see an older engine is fitted to a newer car they just go nuts

they cannot comprehend that that engine was used also in the gu
99% of penisheads at the rta just sit behind a desk and push pens

in the end just spend the 600 bucks and get a certificate then u can shove it infront of anyones face
and not have to worry

u will either need to fit a td42 tacho
or fit a tacho module

·
Registered
nissan
2,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ive got a tacho module with the wiring loom but it wasnt setup properly i think steve from having a rough week or 2 when he did mine and my father inlaws looms, i was just trying to get the car together enough so it could get rego so didnt worry it worked but only showed about 1000rpm at 100kms, the mechanic that signed it off had no issues with it he said the other place would have rung the rta got the help desk and i know that most people at the rta dont even know their own rules its easier for them to just say get it engineered then actually have to look into things, all this talk of engineering had nothing to do with moving engine mounts or anything it was only because there was a T missing from the engine number so if you took your gu wagon and put a gu non turbo block in and put all your gear on in his eyes he couldnt do it he just couldnt comprehend it

wont be going back to him anytime soon, i even said just do a slip with all the numbers and if i get knocked back at the rta ill cop it on the chin and it will be my money lost but he thought it would come back on him doing a dodgy slip, i tried telling him there was nothing dodgy about it

·
Registered
nissan
812 Posts
I think he always has rough weeks
I hear a lot of stuff, mostly not good
Anyway takes a lot to finish a conversion flawlessly

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GUIII
277 Posts
unless you changed diff ratio it will be the same revs as the 3lt. dont you have to have every thing working properly to start with. you should get an engineers cert. or you wont get insurance.[/QUOTE]

An engineer's certificate may not be necessary for insurance. I never got one and my converted GU is covered. I have crashed it and made a successful claim too.

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
11,101 Posts
Being that your GU is a series 2, as it was originally ZD30 then technically your rego guy is right... There was no NA TD42 in SII GU's.
I believe this was due emissions laws changes for diesel cars.

·
Registered
nissan
2,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Being that your GU is a series 2, as it was originally ZD30 then technically your rego guy is right... There was no NA TD42 in SII GU's.
I believe this was due emissions laws changes for diesel cars.
it was out of an 88 model it had a turbo on it and i had the pcv hooked up it all complied anyway it dosnt matter now

·
Registered
NISSAN
365 Posts
Hmm 88 model engine wouldn't meet the same emission requirements as a 2001 engine.
If it was a 98 model engine you may have a chance at it meeting the same emission standards as a 2001 engine.

·
Registered
nissan
2,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
the only emissions thing would be a boost compensator which in a NA wouldnt have anyway, tds didnt get the EGR till they were intercooled and that was in 03, as i said before his problem wasnt with anything to do with the motor or the conversion just there was no T behind the TD42 the other mechanic said the RTA wont care all they will look at is the TD42 part

1 - 16 of 16 Posts