Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
united fuel injection
Nissan
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For people looking to do the Coolant Bypass mod on there TD42, ive just made up another batch.

PM me for details

·
Registered
nissan
729 Posts
G'day toughdiesels,
I know nothing about this mod, do you have more info and pics of it installed.

Thanks
Marty

·
Registered
nissan
11,152 Posts
G'day toughdiesels,
I know nothing about this mod, do you have more info and pics of it installed.

Thanks
Marty
ditto that. im quite interested in this mod as well. just to help the old girl stay cool.
how hard is it to fit. im assuming just drill holes in the correct spot and tap threads for fittings then bobs your uncle in a nutshell.

·
united fuel injection
Nissan
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ditto that. im quite interested in this mod as well. just to help the old girl stay cool.
how hard is it to fit. im assuming just drill holes in the correct spot and tap threads for fittings then bobs your uncle in a nutshell.
This mod is to remove the micro boiling point in the top of the cylinder head, we use them a lot in combos running around the 600Nm mark. It is a simple but technical job to perform and yes you need to drill and tap a hole in the cylinder head in the correct place as outlined in the instructions that come with the rail once purchased.

·
Registered
nissan
729 Posts
Ouch...don't fancy drilling holes in the head.
Thanks toughdiesels but I'll leave that mod to those who need it.

·
Registered
nissan
11,152 Posts
yeah looks i guess simple enough. are the holes in a real pin point accuracy spot or you have a little bit of room to play with. and id assume the fitting instructions are pretty well detailed and easy to follow. just thinking if i get one its not going to be an impossible job costing me a head haha.
any chance of pm'ing me a cost of the setup and what id need to fit??? ie taps and the like.
ps that looks a pretty serious engine setup there. that turbo looks more suited to a small mack truck haha.
cheers

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
I've done the mod.
If you know how to tap threads properly it's easier than you would think.
The hardest part is getting over being too chicken to drill holes in a good motor.
I must have fussed about for an hour at least before I got into it. And no, "fussed" isnt the first word I chose.
You can do it in an afternoon if you take your time.
If you don't follow the instructions then of course it could cost you a head.

Dont worry about swarf, most of it comes out the top of the hole, and you can flush the rest out the holes in the head with the garden hose if you want.
the tap is a fairly common size so you'll find use for it elsewhere.

It probably won't make your engine run cooler, if your car is getting hot thats a different issue and you should fix the cause. What it will do is stop the head cracking when it's being driven really hard.

·
Registered
nissan
11,152 Posts
I've done the mod.
If you know how to tap threads properly it's easier than you would think.
The hardest part is getting over being too chicken to drill holes in a good motor.
I must have fussed about for an hour at least before I got into it. And no, "fussed" isnt the first word I chose.
You can do it in an afternoon if you take your time.
If you don't follow the instructions then of course it could cost you a head.

Dont worry about swarf, most of it comes out the top of the hole, and you can flush the rest out the holes in the head with the garden hose if you want.
the tap is a fairly common size so you'll find use for it elsewhere.

It probably won't make your engine run cooler, if your car is getting hot thats a different issue and you should fix the cause. What it will do is stop the head cracking when it's being driven really hard.
can only assume you mean tap them so they are straight and not on an angle. and yeah swarf is easily removed.
and na i aint having any overheating problems but i like to over engineer things to last. and a turbo is on my list and am looking for good amounts of power evenutally so this is on the list of to do things.

·
Registered
108 Posts

I have a second/spare head and was thinking of this mod.
As i mainly do "touring" style of 4wding and my Turbo'ed TD42
has been known to run hot every now and then.When camper attached.
I have an XR6 intercooler(freebie) to go on it to help.
Do you think this would help or would it be a lot of hassel for little gain.

Cheers Ian.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
817 Posts
hey mate how much for the bypass rail.
and what would you charge to fit it as i cant be bothered
cheers
Rod

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
No mate not as yet, do they suffer from the same issues. The rail might fit never really checked
They probably suffer from similar issues (and there have been quite a few cracked heads manily through insufficient system bleeding) and Im keen to get heat out of the alloy head especially around the prechambers.

Im trying to find a farked 2.8 head to go drilling on to see whats there. I have three good spare 2.8 heads but Id like to keep them that way :D Being a non cross flow head and SOHC it will all be way different to the 4.2.

Theres no spout on the coolant exit either on a 2.8, but I assume an inline sensor adaptor with a 1/8" NPT thread would be ok. teflon lined SS braided hose be OK?

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
I wouldnt use the braided teflon hose, too stiff.
Inline sensor adapter is how I did it but not how you describe, you'll see in the instructions.

If you want to do a 2.8 you'll need to find a head, preferably one thats failed and start by bandsawing it where the crack is. you'll probably need to slice a few cylinders worth up in different places so you know what the coolant galleries are shaped like. then when you decide where to drill slice up number 1 and number 6 through that point to make sure they arent different.

I'm sure you'd be rewaded for your efforts somewhow.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
762 Posts
I've had this mod done on my old gu but it got done by jpc thay did leak abit but just had to retighten them up the motor did take a more time th reach full op temp

·
Registered
nissan 4.2td patrol
208 Posts
I'm way out in South Africa, and am having an issue with overheating on my 4.2 that has an aftermarket turbo and I/C fitted. This is now the 3rd head I'm about to fit. I made the mistake on the second head to by a non genuine Nissan head and have paid the price for it after only 2 months.... but that's another story for another day.

I will be getting the new genuine Nissan TD42 head on Thursday here, but am thinking that before I fit everything back together, this mod would benefit my motor greatly.

ToughDiesels, I don't know if this is a business or yours or if you did this on your own, but is there any way I can get a little technical detail on the how, where and whats of this mod so I can build one up here in South Africa ( its a bit far to come for a quick visit...ha ha). I have 2 cracked heads here that I can play around with to get the sweet spot for the position of the holes that get drilled and tapped into the head.

I don't push my motor too hard, but one of the problems was that my cylinder liners have dropped average of 0.03 mm below the block height, so possibly not getting a good seal on the head gasket

1 - 20 of 30 Posts