Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 88 mavrick td42 overheated when I was traveling 110 so I pulled over to check it out and noticed coolant leaking from the back of the oil filter/cooler housing onto the gearbox bell housing. Is this the reason why its over heating ,what are the common problems with them, is it an easy fix, are the parts easy to order and would it cost alot for parts?
Thanks in advance for any info or help.

·
Premium Member
nissan
5,279 Posts
My 88 mavrick td42 overheated when I was traveling 110 so I pulled over to check it out and noticed coolant leaking from the back of the oil filter/cooler housing onto the gearbox bell housing. Is this the reason why its over heating ,what are the common problems with them, is it an easy fix, are the parts easy to order and would it cost alot for parts?
Thanks in advance for any info or help.
Welcome.

This could definitely cause overheating if all your coolant had leaked out. As to where it is coming out of I am unsure. Any chance of a photo of the area.

·
Registered
nissangqpatrol
267 Posts
Possibly the original leak started in the welsh plug on the back of the block. My guess would be the speed you were driving at caused the wind to hide the trail up top until it dried up from the water loss. Thus the only spot you would see water would be at its lowest point. Just a thought.

·
Registered
nissan gu td42t
625 Posts
The alloy housing that the filters screw onto may have a hole in it from corrosion.
I pulled mine off a while ago to fit a new oil cooler. Got second hand cooler from Patrolapart.
Bloke from Patrolapart said most people need the housing after corrosion caused a leak.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey guys thanks for the feed back. So I decided to do a little more investigating and took the inlet manifold off to see better and noticed the coolant was actually coming from the head gasket which im hoping has just blown out. I have no water in my oil or oil in my water. I had a problem a few weeks ago with the coolant hoses were overpresurising and blowing a few. I located the actual problem of why it has over heating. Uploading picture now.
I will be doing the head myself too.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts