Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

What is the small hose stud that is on the top/front of the cooling pipe in the picture?
We cannot figure out where it has been connected in the td42 donor vehicle. Is it for bleeding the cooling system? The radiator cap is a higher point so that makes no sense. To where should it be connected?

We were thinking of just sealing it off?

·
Registered
31 Posts
That fitting is supposed to be hooked up to your radiator mate. There will be another fitting across from the over flow 1

·
Registered
Nissan
2,121 Posts
Yep, it goes to the radiator.

The TD42 radiator filler pipe has 2 small pipes soldered into it, one on each side as you look at it. One from that fitting in your photo, the other goes to the overflow bottle.

Don't block it off because it assists in bleeding air from the system.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Dane,
My one owner 2000 4.2td GU has the same outlet pipe going nowhere. I have never had overheating problems; it has a rubber sleeve over your nozzle and clamped to same.
According to my Haynes Manual there is reference to...."4.2litre engine 1. Disconnect the bleed hose from the thermostat cover".

However, my Gregory's Manual for a GQ 4.2 (non turbo) shows a hose running off the cover as explained in the previous 2 replies. Under "Description Engine Cooling System"...it states..."A bleed hose is installed between the thermostat cover and the radiator filler neck to eliminate air pockets when filling the coolant".

·
Registered
892 Posts
Later ones had different De airing setup, the blanked off type are smaller and only used when changing coolant over I think. These models have second coolant tank on LHS guard.

·
Registered
nissan
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right thanks. I think that the problem is that we are reusing the zd30 radiator and it doesn't have to extra fitting. It runs a weird system with two expansion tanks whereas the td42 probably doesn't.

But we have a td42 radiator on stock with the extra fitting. So should we ditch the zd30 radiator and use the td42 instead with the extra hose connected? We were then thinking of sealing off the upper expansion tank and only using the lower.

·
Learned the hard way - RD28t out TD42 in
4,415 Posts
Hi Dane,
On mine I just blanked that little connector off. It is there to aid bleeding the system, but Nissan changed the design later on and blanked it off. There is a view that the coolant flow through that little hose when connected up, bypasses the rad reducing the efficiency of the cooling system.

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
Just blank it off , top up radiator and overflow bottle, go for a drive, let it cool and top up the overflow again , the system will self bleed all the air out itself with it blocked off, it just takes a warm up and cool down cycle to do it

·
Registered
nissan
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Right, thanks for the info guys.
Will blank it off :)

·
Registered
369 Posts
My GU wagon has it blanked off with a rubber nipple as suggested above but it is a good spot to install a low coolant alarm. An Aussie manufacturer uses that spot to attach the sensor.

·
Registered
nissan
82 Posts
Can anyone tell me how I can use the zd30 radiator with a td42 motor? Cause the radiator doesn't have the outlet just under the rad cap can I take the overflow from the highest outlet it has, a chuck that straight to the overflow bottle? Or will that pressurise the bottle and not work properly

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
Yes you can, leave the hose in place that runs from the top of the radiator to the expansion tank and route the lower hose on the expansion tank to the heater hose on the left side of the motor via a "T" piece, all will work as per normal..

·
Registered
nissan
2,588 Posts
just found this now i wont have to swap radiators for my swap, what is the cooling like with the zd30 rad compared to the td42 or are they the same radiator

·
Registered
Nissan
417 Posts
I've been looking for the main TD42 cooling htread, when I search I get this results page Search results for query: cooling td42 and doesnt appear to be the thread I'm looking for, can anyone remember the name of the thread exactly and point me in right direction. basically I'm looking to change my thermostat out on my recently purchased 03 TD42T wagon, what's the best one, I think the thermostat may be faulty. Cheers

·
Registered
nissan gq
2,117 Posts
I've been looking for the main TD42 cooling htread, when I search I get this results page Search results for query: cooling td42 and doesnt appear to be the thread I'm looking for, can anyone remember the name of the thread exactly and point me in right direction. basically I'm looking to change my thermostat out on my recently purchased 03 TD42T wagon, what's the best one, I think the thermostat may be faulty. Cheers
Take care,the thermostat housing bolts often corrode and seize,give 'em a good squirt of penetrant and apply gentle pressure when unscrewing,they are a 💩 to remove if broken

1 - 18 of 18 Posts