Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan patrol gq
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. Done the search thing & found nothing that relates to my problem so here goes. I have just replaced my TB42 petrol engine for a TD42 Diesel engine & I have retained the petrol wiring. Everything works fine except the Tacometer.
I bought the correct Tacometer censor & a TD42 dash cluster, But I found that one of the plug holes in the back of the cluster is a bit smaller than my petrol cluster & the Tacometer has 3 screws on the back of it instead of 4 screws like my petrol one.
I since found out that the TD42 dash cluster I bought must be a later model cluster because the earlier GQ clusters have 4 screw tacometers instead of 3 screws & also have 3 big plugs in the back instead of 2 big & 1 smaller plug that the later dashes have.
I took the 3 screw Tacometer out of the TD42 cluster I bought into my TB42 petrol cluster but can't get it working.
From what I have seen I need the 4 screw to get it going as one of the wires from the censor needs to go on the bottom screw which is missing on the 3 screw.
So looks like I'm SCREWED LOL sorry about the confusion but it's a hard one to explane.
Is there any way I can get the 3 screw working ???????

·
Registered
nissan
812 Posts
have u tried a tacho booster
I have afew different types but by the time u supply and fit it
and calibrate it its cheaper to just buy an aftermarket tacho

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,149 Posts
use the complete TD cluster and get the right plugs to wire in. You can remove the pins in the plugs pretty easy to change over.

Also, the wiring from the TB taco in the loom will be completly wrong. There is 2 wires in the TD sender, one goes to the gauge wire and the other to earth.

You will also have to add wires and possibly globs to the cluster for the GLow timer light and Fuel filter warning light.

Post pics up of the 2 clusters, I have a few TB and TD clusters and looms in the shed. I may have what you need.

·
Registered
Nissan patrol gq
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
use the complete TD cluster and get the right plugs to wire in. You can remove the pins in the plugs pretty easy to change over.

Also, the wiring from the TB taco in the loom will be completly wrong. There is 2 wires in the TD sender, one goes to the gauge wire and the other to earth.

You will also have to add wires and possibly globs to the cluster for the GLow timer light and Fuel filter warning light.

Post pics up of the 2 clusters, I have a few TB and TD clusters and looms in the shed. I may have what you need.
I need a TD42 4 screw taco if you have one. (or TD42 cluster if you don't have just the taco) I know how to wire one of those into the petrol loom. I will fit it into the TB42 cluster that I have. I don't run a glow timer or fuel filter warning light, just a glow plug button through a Solanoid.

·
Registered
Nissan/GU
1,083 Posts
I used a complete TD42 cluster in my RD28 conversion to get the tacho working and also add the tacho wire directly to the correct plug pin on the back of the cluster. Bypassing the RD28 ECU etc. Quite simple to do adding pins etc.

·
Registered
Nissan patrol gq
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I used a complete TD42 cluster in my RD28 conversion to get the tacho working and also add the tacho wire directly to the correct plug pin on the back of the cluster. Bypassing the RD28 ECU etc. Quite simple to do adding pins etc.
Yes I was going to use the TD42 cluster that I bought but when I found that one plug was a different size (smaller) also the dash face was white, I decided to to take the taco out of that cluster & change the white face for my yellow petrol face & fit it to my petrol cluster.
Then I realized that the TD42 taco had the 3 screws in it unlike the earlier 4 screw tacos.
I know how to wire it up but one of the wires needs to go to where the bottom screw should be but isn't.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,149 Posts
I found a 4 screw petty one. I just moved house and havn't finished sorting the shed stuff out yet. If you can wait till the weekend Ill have another go

·
Registered
nissan
102 Posts
the bottom screw (the 4th one) when looking at the circuit board just looks like a second earth

put it in with just the 3 screws and try it, it'll either work or it wont

·
Registered
Nissan patrol gq
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the bottom screw (the 4th one) when looking at the circuit board just looks like a second earth

put it in with just the 3 screws and try it, it'll either work or it wont
I tried it & it doesn't work unfortunately.

·
Registered
Nissan patrol gq
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
did it work once you got the engine over about 2200rpm or just not at all?
Not at all mate, I know that one of the censer wires has to go to the bottom screw on the taco that is missing on mine 3 screw one & it's not an earth.

·
Registered
Have owned most, MQ, MK, GQ/TB, GQ/TD, GU/ZD and now finally GU TD42Ti
3,308 Posts
this old kettle of fish :D
If you aren't sorted by the beginning of October, let me know and I'll bring a few tools down to the meetup and have a crack at this there:driving:

·
Registered
Nissan patrol gq
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
this old kettle of fish :D
If you aren't sorted by the beginning of October, let me know and I'll bring a few tools down to the meetup and have a crack at this there:driving:
LOL yea it's a bit of a pain mate but its because of the 4th screw at the bottom that is missing in my td42 taco that one of the wires is surpose to go on & it isn't the earth. If I get one off Outback I should have it fixed fingers crossed. Otherwise I've got the tools we will need LOL Thanks mate.

·
Registered
Have owned most, MQ, MK, GQ/TB, GQ/TD, GU/ZD and now finally GU TD42Ti
3,308 Posts
LOL, too easy mate :) fingers crossed

·
Registered
nissan
102 Posts
Not at all mate, I know that one of the censer wires has to go to the bottom screw on the taco that is missing on mine 3 screw one & it's not an earth.
Interesting, maybe my diesel one isn't stuffed then.

I'm in a similar situation to you which is why I was asking. Mine was a 91 model car, when we reshelled it my old loom was stuffed and the new body was a later model with electrics and stuff (but petrol) so I modified that loom for the diesel.
the tacho has never worked properly though, in the old loom 2 wires ran from the cluster to the sensor. I spent ages stripping the two looms apart, studying the wiring diagrams and even comparing the circuit boards and came to the conclusion that it was an earth as on the circuit board it looked like the 4th screw was linked to the earth screw as well.
plugged it all in and nothing happened, while mucking around I'd managed to pull the needle off though so thought that must have stuffed it (never had a problem with any of the other clusters I've pulled apart but did read reports of patrol ones never working again after doing it)
the petrol cluster works, but only over 2200rpm. I bought a late model diesel cluster as well and that acts the same as the petrol one (I think, been 6 months since I've seen the car so can't remember which cluster I ended up putting in in the end)

I have 3 clusters at home, early and late model diesel and a late model petrol and all three have different plugs on the back of them, different circuit boards on the cluster and different circuit boards on the tacho (they're all the same spec with oil pressure and volts gauges, and every gauge other than the tacho have the same wiring)

I'd have another look and take some photo's but working away atm so won't be near the car for another couple of months

·
Registered
Nissan patrol gq
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Interesting, maybe my diesel one isn't stuffed then.

I'm in a similar situation to you which is why I was asking. Mine was a 91 model car, when we reshelled it my old loom was stuffed and the new body was a later model with electrics and stuff (but petrol) so I modified that loom for the diesel.
the tacho has never worked properly though, in the old loom 2 wires ran from the cluster to the sensor. I spent ages stripping the two looms apart, studying the wiring diagrams and even comparing the circuit boards and came to the conclusion that it was an earth as on the circuit board it looked like the 4th screw was linked to the earth screw as well.
plugged it all in and nothing happened, while mucking around I'd managed to pull the needle off though so thought that must have stuffed it (never had a problem with any of the other clusters I've pulled apart but did read reports of patrol ones never working again after doing it)
the petrol cluster works, but only over 2200rpm. I bought a late model diesel cluster as well and that acts the same as the petrol one (I think, been 6 months since I've seen the car so can't remember which cluster I ended up putting in in the end)

I have 3 clusters at home, early and late model diesel and a late model petrol and all three have different plugs on the back of them, different circuit boards on the cluster and different circuit boards on the tacho (they're all the same spec with oil pressure and volts gauges, and every gauge other than the tacho have the same wiring)

I'd have another look and take some photo's but working away atm so won't be near the car for another couple of months
Mate check out Seehuusen build thread (Marty is his name) He's been through it all & posted the correct way to wire the 4 screw taco up using the petrol cluster. There's full pictures of it all on his build thread very helpful guy.
Cheers Grant.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts