Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys

just wondering how hard it would be to rebuild a old td42 engine?? i have never done anything like this before but i am pretty good with my hands and would like to give it a go, great way to learn all about the motor aswell i supose

what would i need and what would be the hardest things to do i no that some parts i may not be able to do and may have to send it off to be done but i would like to do most of the work myself.

i want to build up a GU comp truck/weekend warrior of soughts and want to do most of the work myself, so WHEN i break something i can fix it, thats the plan anyway

cheers luke

·
Registered
nissan
113 Posts
Buy a GQ/GU repair manual from repco or the like, this will give you an idea of the tools required, step by step instructions to pull down and reassemble the motor, the sequence and torque settings. Everything else will be done by a machine shop. All tolerances and settings you should check twice, don't rush or it will cost money.

If you know someone that's rebuilt a motor before, even better if it was a 4.2td, then asked them to give you a hand as experience is always handy to have. Ask questions if your not sure, there's plenty of people here i'm sure will help as we've all had to start from somewhere.

·
Banned
2,050 Posts
Hi,

For practice I would suggest getting an old 4 cylinder Jap motor. Carby, starter and dizzy with it. You can pull it apart and put it back together and see if it runs. Any mistake and you havnt wasted a lot of money. Get a gearbox as well. ( same deal ) You can re-use the head gasket and make the rest out of a Cornflakes box.

The engine will run if you have a coil connected by some jumper wires, and you can even give it a hone, plus practice removing the rings. ( breaking 1 fitting is a bummer ! )

This will give some confidence, and you wont be as stressed when you do the Patrol.

Regards B M

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
411 Posts
Hey mate, here's a link to the genuine service manual for the gq, read through the engine bit and that should give you a decent idea of what needs to be done.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8841844/GQ Patrol Service Manual - Y60 - Nissan.7z

Where about's are you? if your anywhere near me i wouldnt mind giving you a hand, i haven't pulled down a td42 but i have pulled down a couple of v6's at tafe only a couple of months ago so may be able to help.

Cheers,
Nic

·
Registered
nissan
139 Posts
i done mine myself(well most of it). i hydro locked the motor and bent rods. i have done repairs before but never rebuilt a motor. done what toughxa suggested, bought a workshop manual and started from there. i done everything except i got a short motor done which is new sleves fitted crank balanced and installed as well and bearings and pistons put in. cost me $1000 but was worth it as i wasnt that confident and wanted a good job done. nearly done 80,000km now and going strong. got quoted $10000 drive in drive out for a rebuild. i was like stuff that haha ill do it myself. ended up doing the rebuild with a new turbo for around the same price. maybe a grand or 2 cheaper.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys,

yeah that was the plan to buy repair manual and give it ago, i figure it's a pretty old type of engine so none of the electrical bull**** you have on some of these motors these days.

thanks for the offer nic92gq i might take you up on that, im in brownsplains brissy if thats near you at all, just got to source a nice cheap motor now and get a few other bits and pices

anyone got an idea on cost for a rebuild ?? when you do it your self, assuming i already have a motor. i'm looking at getting somewhere between 150-180 rwkw. so im guessing new turbo, upgraded fuel system and other bit's and peices

cheers luke

·
Banned
nissan y60
141 Posts
i got quoted 6 grand for mine with a new head. it was cheaper for me to do a 5l conversion than it was for the rebuild. but mine is not a dayly driver. also check clasified i know there are a few td's floating around

·
Learned the hard way - RD28t out TD42 in
4,415 Posts
It's very heavy so you need some good lifting and support gear. That together with the cost of Nissan bits would make me think it's not a good motor to learn on.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
iv'e got plenty of ways to lift and support the motor if thats the biggest of my concerns then im pretty happy with that, im not really fussed if things take a year or a month to build i just want to learn and get things done properly.

i want to keep this rig for the next 5 years atleast maybe 10, so i don't mind spending the money on it to get it right, if i can't do things i have no probs sending it somewhere to be done properly. i just like the idea of being able to say i built that! well most of it anyway hahaha

1 - 10 of 10 Posts