Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Having owned several Patrols, all diesel, MK, MQ, GQ, GU, and sold all of them except a ZD30 GU with self-rebuild engine, I have decided to go back to a TD42 GQ, because of two reasons.

1. Cherished memory of driving a TD42 GQ to Simpson Desert, Fraser Island, around Tasmania, and many other amazing places. Such a reliable car!
2. First sight love --- that was 1996, when I was a car sales man selling Nissan Bluebirds and Vannettes. I caught sight of a shiny GQ patrol in our company's show room and was shocked at its beauty, which has been with me all these years.

I regretfully sold my previous GQ, after I did up a 3 litre GU as there is no reason to keep two wagons in my narrow driveway.

Now the time has come for a new project. Here it comes:

The car has 4 inch lift, good shocks, factory rear diff lock, quarter chop, Mamba turbo with front mount intercooler, 3 inch exhaust, overrall a clean car and almost rust free. The engine has 300K on it, supposed to be good at this milage however it was knocking at bottom end. I bought it for $4300 with the hope to fix it by just changing the conrod bearings. However it didn't work. Engine was seized by the damaged crankshaft after replacing the bearings.

I took the engine out, rebuilt it with a good crankshaft. Now I have started to do up the interior.

I guess it might help someone else so I put my progress with pictures here, including the things I did in the past.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,229 Posts
Some great pics there mate. Would you like me to move this to members rides????

·
Registered
nissan
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Crankshaft out.The old shaft needs to be resized, quoted by Toptorque, $300 something, but I alrealdy have standard bearings so bought a non-cracked tested shaft after visual check all good. Linished it, crack-tested and resized the conrod, $200.

Shaft is about 50KG, my injured shoulder coundn't handle with putting it in, which need precise positioning. Taking it out is not a problem though...

·
Registered
nissan
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Measured with calibre, all good within factory specs. So it went in with my son's help, who just finished his VCE, and will be studying science in Monash next year.

·
Premium Member
Patrol Hybrid.
11,929 Posts
I went to school with one of the Professors at Monash.

·
Registered
nissan
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When I tried to pull the crankpulley out, I grabbed it on the damper and deform it by mistake. It shouldn't affect the balance.

Also checked head with industrial straightedge. All good. This cast iron head is heavy and very solid build
No slightest cracks at the pre-combustion chamber. A very good head indeed.

·
Registered
nissan
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
before I put it in, I cranked it by hand. Without head on, the torque is around 40-45NM, with head on, it becomes 60NM sometimes, (when compresssion happens.)

I was a bit worried. So I tested it by putting starter motor on and cranked it. It was beautiful.

After too mush effort, including shaking, the engine and gearbox, climbing up and down for many times. Now the motor is finally in. Before I did this, I put some sound insulation on the firewall to reduce heat and noise. Hopefully it will be as nice as sitting a GU.

·
Registered
nissan
10,919 Posts
replace that damper with a genuine one from partsouq. cheap and trust me that damper plays a lot more importance than you would think. also search the forums about lightening the flywheel and getting it balanced. vast benefits from doing this.

·
Registered
nissan
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
replace that damper with a genuine one from partsouq. cheap and trust me that damper plays a lot more importance than you would think. also search the forums about lightening the flywheel and getting it balanced. vast benefits from doing this.
Thanks mate.

Have heard that if you modified the flywheel you would need balance it. But I didn't touch the flywheel. Is it necessary?

Will check the damper. But what the dumper does except keeping balance?

·
Registered
nissan
10,919 Posts
wont really matter if you didnt do it. but removing weight from the flywheel removes the harmonic imbalance at around 2000rpm. makes them a lot smoother but not critical if your not going to lean on it to much.
as for the damper it also removes harmonic imbalance. being bent is one thing but it even slightly. compresses the rubber and removes its ability to absorb these harmonic imbalances.
look im sure both of these things dont amount to much. But im kinda anal when it comes to engines lol. mainly cause i drive them hard so build them to last lol

·
Registered
nissan
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
One more thing before the engine installation. Better Brakes have clutch alignment tool for sale, $5 each, if you are installing an old clutch.

·
Registered
nissan
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The old sound insulation on the firewall is in pieces after I removed it to clean the blowers, aircon and heater. So I put two stages sound insulation in. Looks much better than the old junk.

Also, kitchen sink seal works very well for the aircon ducts.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts