Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
gents, i am loving my GQ but hating the TB42 carby on gas. i want to get a diesel and i have a budget of about $10-12k. so unless i steal one, i am not getting a TD42 GU.... so what do you think about the options?? i am finding it hard to get a good TD42 GQ for the money, and the fact that none of them are factory turbos has me a bit worried, so i have started looking at the ZD's.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,397 Posts
There is a gu td42 Na for sale at patrol apart. Tidy as fark. Think it was 12 or 13700k drive away

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
Yeah they did, factory optioned pack back in the early 90's for a few years. Call the 'town and country', pretty sure they were all still silver tops.

As for the OP you will find it very hard to find a good nick, non rusted gq with a TD for less than 15k... These boys smoke some serious crack to come up with the prices they do!!
Find your self a clean well maintained 2004+ zd do all the relevant mods and happy days.
Just be prepared down the track for a possible engine rebuild. Gu's even though same chassis are miles ahead in the comfort department!

·
Registered
nissan
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah the numbers being thrown around for TD42's are pretty crazy :( but someone must be paying them?? so good for the owners.

having to prepare for an engine rebuild isn't the sort of thing that makes me happy. is that still really a problem with the series III's?? a few blokes i have talked to reckon the II's were a problem but the III's are ok. not the case??

the extra comfort is neither here nor there with me, i'd be happy with a 79 cruiser to be honest, but the pricing on those makes TD42's look cheap!! a GU is going to be around 10yrs newer and a 100,000km fewer than a GQ.. so i reckon i would stretch the budget right to the top end for a clean/tidy GU, but if i am looking at a GQ with 300,000km+ on the clock then i'd want to be keeping a bit back for the inevitable future maintenance/etc.

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
You might be lucky and pick up a NA gu TD for 12-15, factory turb more like 20+.
Iv been looking for a gq TD ute as stock as possible and there just arnt any around! There all modded to the fock and morons want 15k for em! Realistic for me would be 4-7k for a neat stocko.
Sorry I didn't mean to imply that a zd will die a certain death, a lot that were not cared for have a history of letting go! Pick up one that's been serviced correctly and happy days!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts