Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on my way down to Coffs this morning when all of the sudden I lost all power and started blowing plooms of white oily smelling smoke. I pulled over immediatley and turned it off. There is oil being pushed out of my Provent 200 catch can around the top seal and the engine was running very rough but with no knocks or bangs. Any ideas?
Also I had it towed back home to Strathpine and now need to find somebody to look at it in the local area. Has anybody got any recommendations?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Definately not good. Black smoke is excess fuel, WHITE SMOKE is oil smoke like you described.
have you checked the intake pipe to the engine? hopefully it could be the seals in the turbo gone and its blowing oil up throught the intake! or pressurising the sump causing it to suck in the oil. If not you may have melted a hole in a piston? What EGT's was it running when the white smoke started and what boost were you running???

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haven't checked the intake pipe yet. EGT was around 380 and 14psi boost.

·
Registered
141 Posts
14 pound boost is high but not extreme. Is it an aftermarket DTS kit??? im running the same but with only 12 pound boost which spikes to around 14psi. Im interested in what you find as i have a similar setup but i dont want similar issues.

nissan patrol y60
433 Posts
sounds like blocked strainer in injector pump to me.

·
Registered
nissan
34 Posts
I was on my way down to Coffs this morning when all of the sudden I lost all power and started blowing plooms of white oily smelling smoke. this is un -burnt fuel due to low compression. I pulled over immediatley and turned it off. There is oil being pushed out of my Provent 200 catch can around the top seal Indicates that piston is cracked and CYL gasses are entering the sump and pushing oil out. and the engine was running very rough Not firing on all 6, has droped 1or2.but with no knocks or bangs. Any ideas?
Also I had it towed back home to Strathpine and now need to find somebody to look at it in the local area. Has anybody got any recommendations?

sorry but it's dead...

Don't spend a cent until a compression test has been performed.(no more than 1.5 hr labour) 1 cyl will be very low.

This is a common problem with early N/A TD42's,,, (lighter / thin piston crowns)

Can be fixed one of two ways.
1x head gasket
1x sump gasket
1 or 2 x s/h piston from local engine reco joint
10 x beers
1x pizza
1x late night in the shed

or the best way
1x full rebuild making sure to use pistons for td42-T (turbo spec)
Not all TD42'S are the same:eek:

·
Registered
nissan
34 Posts
found some old not very clear pics, but you will get the idea.

genuine 99 build n/a td42 pistons

aftermaket td42-T (tubo spec)

·
Registered
297 Posts
If your looking for someone local, take it down to Mike Topfer at On and Offroad Mechanical on Kremzow Rd at Brendale. He knows these engines well and used to be with KM Diesel before starting his own business. That's where mine goes.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have just taken off the intake pipe and found oil. I gather this indicates a blown turbo but would it explain the rough idling of the engine?:confused:

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bogoor, thanks for the pics. If i have to go down the path of a rebuild I will be using turbo spec parts for sure.

Nev, Mike Topfer at On and Offroad Mechanical has been recommended to me by a few people I spoke to on the phone last night. I will go down and see him this morning since I wont be going elsewhere for my holidays now.

nissan patrol y60
433 Posts
To much oil doesnt cause white smoke check the strainer under the banjo bolt on injector pump had heaps of these come in with telstra when i was in nsw at dealership they all thought theyed blown them up as were running rough and bellowing white smoke. Lucky to rev past 1500 some of them

·
Registered
nissan
11,121 Posts
yeah id be thinking white smoke would either be unburnt fuel or coolant entering and burning. oil smoke is blue. even you havent got something sucked into the air intake or a pipe has squashed going into the turbo.

·
Registered
nissan
4,454 Posts
I agree with the unburnt fuel, oil is blueish and you can tell the difference between the two.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
To much oil doesnt cause white smoke check the strainer under the banjo bolt on injector pump had heaps of these come in with telstra when i was in nsw at dealership they all thought theyed blown them up as were running rough and bellowing white smoke. Lucky to rev past 1500 some of them
Thanks for the input, where will I find this Banjo bolt on the injector pump?
I have taken off the intake pipe and have oil in there between the turbo and the inlet manifold

nissan patrol y60
433 Posts
u will get some oil in the intake that is normal u will find the strainer under the banjo bolt on pump at front of pump it is also where the diesel goes into pump so u can follow hose from fuel filter till u get to bolt.remove bolt then u will see a spring lift spring out then u will need a bit of tie wire with a small hook on end to drop down and pull strainer out.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
u will get some oil in the intake that is normal u will find the strainer under the banjo bolt on pump at front of pump it is also where the diesel goes into pump so u can follow hose from fuel filter till u get to bolt.remove bolt then u will see a spring lift spring out then u will need a bit of tie wire with a small hook on end to drop down and pull strainer out.
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I will check this out today, fingers crossed that's what it is!

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
90 % guarantee it lol
I have just pulled out the guaze filter. It did seem to be blocked. I cleaned it out and reinstalled.
Motor now runs better but not right.
Still seems to be idling rough and there are alot of gases chuffing out of the oil catch can when I remove the lid. Still no knocks or bangs but prospects don't look to bright:(

nissan patrol y60
433 Posts
whats fuel filter like if gauze was blocked fuel filter might not be much good either ay. was it getting hot or anything before

1 - 20 of 34 Posts