Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Elmo
Nissan
4,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey blokes.

I'm looking at buying a TI injector pump off an 04 gu ute. So it's factory compensated but it's the one that is ran from the ECU.

Now I've got a GU (was 3L, now 4.2 with a GQ TD42 silvertop running a Kingy 16G billet) without the factory harness as it was removed per conversion.

To get this pump installed and running with my vehicle...

What do I need?
Has anyone done this before?
Difficulty?

I'm not handy with wires but I have a few friends and local forumites that are.

There doesn't appear to be a thread on the forum at all in regards to this so it's time to start one!

Reason: I've got the factory 9mm non compensated pump which is leaking and this TI pump is at a steal of a price under $650 great running condition, done 130,000.

·
Registered
nissan
796 Posts
Having the loom to go with it would be best. The td42ti runs a few extra things like a needle lift sensor on the #1 injector, 3 wire rpm sensor, tps etc.

Scuba did something similar with his and only has a tcv I believe and controlled it using a unichip. He uses his unichip to control other things and has a few inputs and outputs.

It wont be the cheapest way to go. It can be done but may take a while to source all the parts to make it like a factory td42ti. For ease of fitment getting yours built would be the go.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Your pump is 10mm, could you make the ti pump work, possibly is it worth the hassle. You could get yours rebuilt for whatever power you are chasing, it will cost more but you will have a mechanical system without any electronics to worry about.

·
Premium Member
nissan gu td42ti
4,665 Posts
Electronics have never been an issue in any major form on a ti pump. Only issue that keeps creeping up is the smart system failing at the cut off solenoid. But for the conversion you just remove the electronics around the solenoid and away you go.

Deccers has a 16g and a leaky pump that has no compensator. A rebuild and install of a compensator will be well over 1500.

He has a chance to buy a healthy 11mm pump. All he would need is a engine ignition harness and a pulse injector on number one. A computer. Maybe other things but I can't remember. Pretty simple compared the amount of crap that goes on other engine models in this class. And he will still be ahead financially. Plus a bit more ooomf.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
I was not trying to assert that the electronics associated with the ti pump would let him down, more so getting it all happening would be a pita and seeing that he has not yet bought the pump it may be wiser to get his rebuilt.

·
Premium Member
nissan gu td42ti
4,665 Posts
I was not trying to assert that the electronics associated with the ti pump would let him down, more so getting it all happening would be a pita and seeing that he has not yet bought the pump it may be wiser to get his rebuilt.

Maybe.

·
Registered
nissan
796 Posts
Electronics have never been an issue in any major form on a ti pump. Only issue that keeps creeping up is the smart system failing at the cut off solenoid. But for the conversion you just remove the electronics around the solenoid and away you go.

Deccers has a 16g and a leaky pump that has no compensator. A rebuild and install of a compensator will be well over 1500.

He has a chance to buy a healthy 11mm pump. All he would need is a engine ignition harness and a pulse injector on number one. A computer. Maybe other things but I can't remember. Pretty simple compared the amount of crap that goes on other engine models in this class. And he will still be ahead financially. Plus a bit more ooomf.
While the pump might be a good buy sourcing and buying the gear could get expensive and drawn out. If you are patient then as stated in my first post this would be best. Then there is also getting it working which could have its hassles, im not saying that it will happen but little things tend to sneak up on you.

·
Premium Member
nissan gu td42ti
4,665 Posts
Ok let's look at the hard facts on what is involved. Please add anything else that I might've forgotten.

-pump
-pulse injector no 1
-computer
-harness
-NATS system removal
-fuel cutoff solenoid refitted.
-plumbing for boost reference on compensator

Wire splicing
I'd say running power to the puter via ignition.

Fuses which might be in the harness.

Plugs are already there and set for pump and injector via computer so no splicing needed.

All that has to be wired is the power to computer and the NATS system removed and fuel cut off solenoid reused the old way. Wire for that will already be there from old pump. Ti pump solenoid is fine to use.

This is just off the top of my head. Have I left anything out?

Wreckers price
Wiring engine harness couldn't be more than and exaggerated 200 bucks. Puter let's say even $400. It would prolly come with the harness.

Still works out cheaper and better.

Dunno. To me it's not rocket science. Would be an afternoon wiring job.

·
Elmo
Nissan
4,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys.

This is all well and true. But for a saving of $500 I don't get warranty and have to stuff around with finding a harness, taking the car off the road until the person doing the install finishes it (most likely ITSA).

The other issue is, my car literally always ends up having something wrong electronically so again this is most likely something else to go wrong.

I'm going to ring around and see if there are any harnesses / ECU combo's available then make the decision from there.

·
Registered
nissan
796 Posts
I think you will also need a coolant temp sensor, different rpm sensor, tps if the pump doesnt already have one. Im not 100% sure that it would work to its full potential without everything that is required.

I dont think its rocket science either but deccers will just have to weigh up his options.

·
Elmo
Nissan
4,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've already got a working coolant temp sensor.

However, won't the ECU control these things? And will that mean I'll have to convert my accel pedal BACK to the spring loaded one factory with ZD30's and RD28?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts